Author Topic: Another Grunert freezer thread  (Read 181 times)

joel

Re: Another Grunert freezer thread
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2023, 01:27:18 PM »
Eric,

Thanks.  The frig is air-cooled.  I's be thrilled with 40 amps a day for the freezer.  Mine uses about 60 an hour!

etuman

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2023, 09:01:34 AM »
Hi Joel,

I dont know about Grunnert but I just replaced my Seafrost compressor with another Seafrost compressor.  I did this to save the plates and simplify the installation.  Seafrost consumes about 40 amps, for about 2 hours per day.  Not too bad on power consumption.

Dual air cooled  compressors are probably a better option if starting from scratch and unlimited funds.  Even the simplest fix requires time and tools and skills, but it

Moonlight

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2023, 03:04:37 PM »
When we got our 49, it became clear to me that I wasn't going to figure out the Gunnert and I believe they were complicit in murdering our batteries.  So, shortly after we got our 49 we replaced the Gunnert with a pair of Frigoboat units, one for the freezer and one for the refrigerator.  They both fit under the hanging locker in the aft berth, starboard side, and a pair of keel coolers fit under the seat in the aft berth.  We put a grill in the bottom of the cabinet so they can get air.  We got the option that allows us to switch to air cooling, like a home refrigerator, so we can use the refrigerator and freezer while on the hard.  I haven't had to touch the Frigoboats since we put them in about 8 years ago.  They do have a complicated control unit and I can barely figure out how to adjust the temperature. 

Jack
H49#31
Moonlight

joel

Another Grunert freezer thread
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2023, 03:00:58 PM »
Our freezer has both the engine driven plate and compressor driven plates.  The compressor is a highly inefficient 120 volt Copeland compressor of unknown age using 134 refrigerant.  When we run it off the inverter it draws around 60 amps.

Do the 12 volt Grunert compressors work well?  Are they a viable option to replacing the compressor and plates?

Joel
49#5
Rule One

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below