Author Topic: A/C for a Hylas 49  (Read 202 times)

Groggo

Re: A/C for a Hylas 49
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2022, 06:07:09 PM »
Hey There,
The right ac is an important call for making the boat really comfy.  I bought 56-27 in '21 with a crap ac that had never worked.  Tore the whole thing out and replaced it with a Termodinamica system, as recommended and installed by Termodinamica.  Couldn't be more pleased with it's performance.  Pricey, but an exceptional unit.

jt11791

• Renegade's cruising blog
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2022, 01:23:53 PM »
My 54 has a 10,000btu unit in the aft cabin and a 24,000btu split unit for the rest of the boat.  The split unit has one 16,000btu evaporator for the salon and passage cabin and a second 8000btu evaporator for the forward cabin.  The 10k unit in the aft was originally a split system where the condensor was under the bunk and the evaporator under the central closet, but I replaced it with a self contained unit that fit where the old evaporator was.  It was good to get the noisy condensor out from under the bunk.  Split units will generally cost more, but offer more flexibility in installation. This system served us well for a summer in Grenada, so not under powered!  10k is on the high side for the aft cabin, I like it because it cools down quickly, but 8k is probably enough if that fits your space better.  Also, my two units share a circulation pump for the cooling water, which makes for fewer through hulls, something to consider during installation.
S/V Renegade  H54-19

Midnight Mile

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2022, 01:02:13 AM »
Midnight Mile had 3 units when we purchased her in 2018:
  • Aft unit was a 6K BTU Dometic, crammed in the port locker next to the bed and was not functional so I removed it.
  • The salon unit is 16K BTU, mounted under the settee near the mast with the vent in the corner of the settee under the port chainplate cover. This unit is an older Dometic unit but really works well.
  • In 2020, I replaced the forward unit (also an older Dometic 6K BTU) with a 9K BTU from Flagship Marine and we've been very happy with that one as well. This is located under the v-berth, port side.

I purchased a roll of thermal bubble wrap and cut pieces to fit in each of the salon windows. When it's really hot, these make a big difference.

We are currently in Annapolis area and have been as far south as Florida.

Good luck,

Dan
H49 #28

joel

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2022, 09:32:51 PM »
We are in Annapolis but planning for the Caribbean and the Med.

The aft unit is under the bed. Single vent near our heads.

The salon unit will be next to the mast under the seat with vents in the salon and crew cabin.

Hope this is helpful.

Aurora Borealis

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2022, 08:46:40 PM »
Good to know, Joel. Any information you care to share regarding placement, installation, type, what part of the world - ie, heat index range - anything at all - would be terrific, too.
Jenny & Audie
S/V Aurora Borealis
Hylas 49 #34

joel

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2022, 02:21:48 PM »
Our 49 came with a 10,000 BTU unit for the aft cabin.  We are adding a 16000 BTU unit for the salon and crew cabin.
We plan to be in warm weather climates.  I doubt we will be oversized, especially when cooking.
Joel Rule One
49#5

Aurora Borealis

A/C for a Hylas 49
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2022, 03:57:25 AM »
We are in the extremely preliminary stages of considering air conditioning for Aurora Borealis fka Stellar Blue.  I am trying to determine what the approximate cabin volume should be - cubic feet, cubic meters or cubic cubits - I can do the conversion ::)
Necessary to determine that in order to calculate the appropriate BTUs of A/C necessary. Whether for a boat, RV or house, it is just as important not to oversize as it is undersize.

So far, the closest peg I have found on which to hang my hat is that H49 Seychelles contains a 6,000 BTU unit solely for the master + its head, and a 16,000 BTU unit for the remainder of the cabin. Separate units! I have to wonder if there is a story behind that.
Jenny & Audie
S/V Aurora Borealis
Hylas 49 #34

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below