Author Topic: What is the black formica like material at the nav station?  (Read 271 times)

Nirvana

• Nirvana - H46 #13
Re: What is the black formica like material at the nav station?
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2022, 04:47:29 AM »
I believe the material is actually Melamine laminate over teak plywood.  Melamine is much more rigid and will not shrink/expand or scratch nearly as much or easily as ABS, PVC or any other plastics; this includes acrylics.  If you are using plastics (starboard, PVC sheets or other plastic products) to mount electronic components keep in mind it can deform under pressure when you tighten screws, nuts & bolts etc..  So each time a screw or nut is tightened the surface deforms a little more.  Heat and cold can also cause screws and nuts/bolts to loosen in plastics over time.  Keep an eye on them and lightly tighten periodically over time if they become loose.

Small sizes of melamine laminate (pre-adhered to board) can be ordered but for marine applications make sure it is over plywood, preferably teak or mahogany.  Absolutely do not want MDF or any other type of composite wood on a boat.

Just my two and a half cents worth
Ken Sabatini
Nirvana - 1997 Hylas 46 #13

tday01

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2022, 12:21:47 PM »
I ended up going with black ABS from a plastic shop (Tap Plastic in the US). With the holes CNC cut it was less than $60 and it looks like it belongs.

Windswept

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2022, 04:37:20 AM »
On board Ambition, ours is a 1/2" thick marine plywood with a matt black laminate glued onto it. I am on the hunt for a 12"X 12" piece - not wanting buy a full sheet of laminate nor plywood!

Merrill
S/V Ambition
H46 #40

Windswept 028 is as Merrill describes above. I installed a new B&G VHF with a slightly smaller foot print. To close the gap around the VHF I used a textured matt black plastic that I found at a plastics shop. It looks like (if you look close enough) as if it belonged there! ;)

Ambition

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2022, 12:38:51 PM »
On board Ambition, ours is a 1/2" thick marine plywood with a matt black laminate glued onto it. I am on the hunt for a 12"X 12" piece - not wanting buy a full sheet of laminate nor plywood!

Merrill
S/V Ambition
H46 #40

tday01

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2022, 05:13:38 AM »
Thanks Joel,

Googling that, I found a place that will cut to order for electronic displays. https://www.boatoutfitters.com

I'll post back and let people know how I got on with them.

joel

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2022, 01:30:04 PM »
Looks like HPDE aka Starboard

tday01

What is the black formica like material at the nav station?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2022, 06:19:55 AM »
I am in the process of upgrading the electronics on my 2005 Hylas 54 and will need to cut out new holes on a blank sheet for the radio and chart plotter. Does anyone know what the black material is that is used to mount the electronics? (picture attached)

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below