Author Topic: Unfinished teak in cockpit  (Read 621 times)

Bad Captain

Re: Unfinished teak in cockpit
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2022, 08:10:06 PM »
Initially I expended considerable energy on the teak decks onboard H46 #66, the S/V Bad Captain.  What I soon discovered in the tropics was that those pretty decks were very hot under foot.  I then over the course of my 4,000 NM journey allowed them to turn a very nice light grey and found them to be comfortable when scurrying about barefoot.  I maintain them with a buck of water, a cup of powdered Tide laundry detergent, and a small splash of bleach.  On more than one occasion I've had people asked what the secret was and told them, that is was to simply leave them alone.

sjd

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2022, 10:41:41 AM »
Thank you both for the input. Ambition, I would love a few photo's if you have them readily available. Please email to sjdonofrio86@gmail.com
Thanks

Ambition

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2022, 06:45:32 PM »
On board Ambition (H46 #40) I finally decided that I needed to change my opinion about grey teak and see what I could do to "pretty up" the 20 year old teak toe rails, cockpit floor boards, aft pulpit seats and protect the the new teak swim platform and steps into the cockpit  I had the yard sand the toe rails, pulpit seats and the cockpit floor boards.
We then applied 2 coats of Semco Honeytone Teak Sealer. Over the course of the winter sailing season, we applied another 2 coats of Semco Cleartone Teak Sealer. The water now beads on all the teak surfaces and it leaves the wood with a finish in my opinion way more acceptable than grey as well as FAR LESS effort and cost than a varnish finish. I think it is a great compromise but I am sure there are differing opinions.
If you would like a few photos, let me know.
Merrill
S/V Ambition H46#40

sv Believe

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2022, 01:20:12 PM »
Yep. Step 1 Starbright Teak Cleaner and hose it off.
Step 2 Starbright Teak Brightener and hose it off.
Works great. Amazing the dirt it removes. The Brightener works magic.
IMPORTANT: Do not use Step 3 which is Starbright Teak Sealer
These are easy products to find.

sjd

Unfinished teak in cockpit
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2022, 12:38:46 PM »
Can anyone recommend how to clean and/or treat the unfinished teak in the cockpit and transom steps. Would like to keep it natural and as low maintenance (if there is such a thing) as possible.

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below