Author Topic: Seacock Size  (Read 268 times)

Knoxan

Re: Seacock Size
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2022, 09:15:27 AM »
Fortunately, I replaced all the hoses and fittings on that toilet except the seacock a year ago and rearranged the plumbing to the holding tank so that with the seaclock permanently stuck fully open if I position the divertor valve to the holding tank, the toilet bowl below water level is protected from backfilling by both an anti syphon loop and the holding tank outlet pump which acts effectively as a one way valve. So the pressure is off to replace the seacock but will do so asap. Arrangement attached for info. The original arrangement had 2 divertor valves and was hard to operate, and when the valves needed replacing I changed to this one valve system. It fits well into the aft heads but can't physically accomodate the extra anti syphon loop in the forward head.
Thanks again for your assistance.

Andy H46#32 True Brew

joel

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2022, 07:14:38 PM »
Perhaps QL can send you one.  Or I'd check with Jamestown Distributors as Norm suggests. 

Norm

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2022, 10:56:54 AM »
I have replaced most of the seacocks in Blue Moon with Buck Algonquin seacocks from Jamestown Distributors in Rhode Island and have been very happy with them. Unfortunately, I was unable to unscrew the old seacocks from the through hulls despite the application of solvents, heat, and significant leverage, so I replaced the through hulls as well. Those, and the tailpieces for the hose, can also be purchased at Jamestown. Not an in-water repair, though

Knoxan

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2022, 09:59:57 AM »
I took the advice to contact Queen Long and they advise that the toilet outlet is 1 1/2" with NP thread.
Being based in the UK I now have difficulty in sourcing a replacement locally since BSP is the common standard here and I may have to import from the US.
Researching seacocks has opened up a whole world of confusion over straight vs tapered threads and what the correct combinations are. Some interesting articles out there.
An excellent one can be found at https://marinehowto.com/seacock-thru-hull-primer/
Still thinking about it!

Andy H46 #32 True Brew

svHope

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2022, 03:42:29 AM »
I agree with Merrill. Send an inquiry to QL. Candy will respond with confirmation they are researching it. We are lucky owners to have the fantastic Hylas Support.

joel

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2022, 02:59:20 PM »
Can you plug it from the outside?  Buy a couple and return the wrong ones.

I did an in-water replacement on a 3/4 inch hose.  I didn't buy it ahead of time, so I had to leave the boat for a while while I ran to the chandlery.  Made me nervous, but I know the pump could keep up.  The bung was in place when I returned.

Ambition

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2022, 12:43:32 PM »
Andy, If I were you, I would send a quick email to Queen Long to conform what size was used on your boat ... I am always amazed at the detailed information they can provide and the speed at which they respond. Awesome customer service.

Merrill
S/V Ambition H46 #40

Knoxan

Seacock Size
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2022, 12:32:14 PM »
I find that a toilet outlet seacock has seized in the open position and am thinking about replacing it while afloat using a "Seabung". Sound scary but taking the right precautions and staying calm it should be fine. One thing about sailing it has taught me to panic slowly. Need to stick a plug into the hosetail first when disconnecting the hose since the tail has a 90 degree bend and then unscrew the tail and the seacock as one item before the Seabung can be inserted.
Question is what size is the replacement seacock? I have tried to measure the diameter of the thruhull thread- not easy to get access to the thread but it looks like a 2" BSP thread although the hose tail is 1 1/2".
I intend to replace it with a composite.

Andy
H46#32 True Brew

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below