Author Topic: Best location for battery house bank  (Read 246 times)

Knoxan

Re: Best location for battery house bank
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2022, 09:42:16 AM »
I was never happy about the battery placement in my 46. Three open cell lead acids under the forward berth along with a multitude of electrical items. Ditto with engine and generator starting batteries in other similar locations. A couple of times I had to replace the gas detector heads I suspect because of gassing fumes. Changed them to sealed cells. Seems to help with the gas detector failures but still not entirely happy. I did see a small explosion on a boat once when the owner came aboard and powered up. Fortunately he was only slightly singed. Following that I had a small portable gas detector which I used before I powered up but complacency set in and I stopped using it.
I have a friend with a Moody 47 where the batteries are all in sealed battery boxes with a forced ventilation system discharging overboard. Batteries located mostly near to where the power is needed to keep heavy cable lengths short and switched by heavy duty contactors controlled by light wiring back to main electrical panel.
German engineering at its best.

Andy
H46 #32 True Brew

Frederick Stetson

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2022, 03:33:04 PM »
In a former life, I was a Marine Surveyor. I failed a vessel, because the seller had placed an extra bank of batteries under a berth. Reason: fumes from charging

Ripple

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2022, 06:48:12 PM »
Hi Merrill,

Our three 8d house batteries are in front of the steering box under the aft bunk. I read the specs and replaced the 8d windlass/bow thruster battery with a group 31; it is under the fwd bunk. After 3 years, works fine but I do have a crossover to house just in case. Replaced 4d with group 31 to start Yanmar; do not know why they used such a big battery to start engine. Group 27 to start generator is under stb settee. Please say hi to your wife for us. JR

Ambition

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2022, 03:07:21 PM »
On our 46 Ambition, there are 2 each 8D's and a 4D under the forward berth. a third 8D is under the starboard settee and the engine start 4D is under the port settee. This arrangement does add substantial weight on the starboard side of then boat. Considering the weight of our Hylas 46's, I wonder how much work vs benefit shifting batteries around will give you, not counting the additional cable runs involved.

Cheers,
Merrill
S/V Ambition H46 #40

Gato Gordo

Best location for battery house bank
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2022, 02:23:40 PM »
Our 46 has the battery bank located under the forward bed on the port side.
What is the best location for weight distribution?
I was looking at the location in the master state room in the floor of the hanging locker.
Any advice or photos would be appreciated.

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below