Author Topic: Cabin sole flexing issue  (Read 682 times)

Ganesha

Re: Cabin sole flexing issue
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2022, 11:54:39 AM »
Good photos, thanks so much, I see you put a lot of effort into that, and I thank you. Unfortunately I don

Blackfin

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2022, 12:36:13 PM »
Hi Ganesha -

I was over to our boat, H49-#62, yesterday and while I was there I took a look at the cabin sole flexing in front of the stove.  Our sole flexes about 1/4 to 1/2 inch right in front of the stove.  I took out a couple of the floor board access panels at the water manifold and the fridge/freezer drain pump for a closer inspection of the problem.  Take a look at the pictures attached and you can see where I marked them with red and blue lines.  These lines represent the location of floor joists under the sole.  The forward of the two joists rests solidly on a raised fiberglass crossmember.  The aft floor joist on the outboard side, right in front of the stove, is not supported by a fiberglass crossmember and makes limited contact as the end of the joist meets the fiberglass curve of the hull. It looks like the flexing would be eliminated and the sole could be shored up nicely with a couple of well placed shims at the aft joist just under the stove area.

Hope this helps.  If my description is too confusing, message me.  I have more pictures and a video I can share.

Dee Martin
SV Blackfin

joel

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2022, 08:03:26 PM »
Can you remove the board the foot pumps are in and take a look at what is going on?

Ripple

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2022, 01:03:41 AM »
Not familiar with 49, I have 46 and hatches for the fuel manifold and another hatch for thru hauls is in that area. I have had hatches cut in to open up storage areas on previous boats. Might consider a hatch cut in to see what is going on.

Ganesha

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2022, 12:05:51 PM »
The cabin sole flexes when anyone walks on it. It happens only in some panels of the floorboards. Specifically the section just in front of the stove. There is no access to the section, it is built in and cannot be lifted without a destructive process.

Ripple

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2022, 01:48:17 PM »
Does this flexing happen while at a dock/anchor, when sailing, noticed when the boat is moved from the hard to water, or some other time?

Ganesha

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2022, 10:57:19 AM »
The flexing was partially there when I bought the boat in 2019. It just has gotten worse. There is no delaminating that I can see.

joel

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2022, 05:48:49 PM »
Is there any sign of water damage or delamination?

Ripple

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2022, 10:42:50 AM »
When do you notice the galley sole flexing?

Ganesha

Cabin sole flexing issue
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2022, 10:28:13 PM »
The cabin sole in the galley passageway is flexing, anyone encounter this and have a good solution?

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below