Author Topic: Genoa size for a 49 with staysail  (Read 508 times)

Aria56

Re: Genoa size for a 49 with staysail
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2021, 10:17:16 AM »
We sailed our old 49 for two years in the Caribbean Tradewinds and east coast with A 120 headsail and a furling staysail.  The headsail had a very high clew, so not nearly as powerfully as a 120 deck sweeper.  The sail tacked through the slot with minimal issues.  We had 1 reef in about half the time in the Caribbean but with luff foam it held good shape.  It seemed like the right sail to have.
The high clewed staysail complimented the sail plan very nicely.  Cutter rigs are the Bomb!
Brian Stork
Aria  H56#7

800lance

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2021, 02:49:18 PM »
I have always thought the 110 head sail on our Hylas 49 #32  Shamaya was too small, but then winning the Crusing Class in the 2020 International Banderas Bay Regatta has changed my mind. It
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 02:56:46 PM by 800lance »

joel

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2021, 11:20:37 AM »
Erik,

Thanks!  We are very excited about the 49 and hoping you can sell the 44 before Spring.  See you at the boat show.

Joel

erikh

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2021, 11:02:19 AM »
Hey Joel, congrats on the Hylas 49. For sure keep the 150 for Bermuda races, great sail for those light-medium reaches. For the Chesapeake, I highly recommend something like you've mentioned 115-120. This will be easier to tack and still provide plenty of punch without becoming overpowered.

Another point to mention is you should look at getting one with a higher clew. There is a lot of traffic on the Bay, and a higher clew will give you much better visibility, while also being able to clear lifeline stanchions and such without snagging.

If you haven't spoken to Peter Grimm yet, give him a call, he's built the sails for virtually every Hylas for two decades. peter.grimm@northsails.com

Erik Haaland
David Walters Yachts

joel

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2021, 06:54:01 PM »
Thanks everyone!  My sailmaker concurs that 115-120 is the sweet spot.
I'll keep the 150 for the Annapolis Bermuda race when we are fully crewed and someone else can bring the jib through the slot!

Joel

Brightwater

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2021, 12:19:49 PM »
We bought a new 120 last year and it was absolutely the right decision.  Still able to tack it and starts to come in her own at roughly 8 knots.  I believe any larger would be a waste of boat bucks.

Nate
Moonshine
H49 #1

wurzner

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2021, 03:32:43 AM »
I am with the rest of the folks.  Our boats are not light air boats, so the experience in 5-7 knots will be challenging regardless of headsail size.  But get into the 10~17 knot range and it is a different story, and the 120 can hold a decent shape furled in to 100%.  Higher winds and it is staysail conditions depending on point of sail.  I have a 120 and will be replacing with a like size.  That is my experience on a Frers designed 51.  Cheers, Shaun

Hobiehobie

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2021, 11:19:15 PM »
I think it really depends where you envision most of your sailing.  We have spent 6 yrs in the islands and almost never have our 130 fully deployed.  Not so experienced in northern waters, but if I had a new Caribbean Genny cut I

Ambition

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2021, 10:59:16 PM »
Joel,
Knowing that you are moving up to a 49, I can only share my logic for Ambition, our 46. We just changed all the sails and after much discussion with the folks at North, we opted to change our genoa from a 140% to a new 120% - we found that we were forever partially furling the 140 in the Caribbean. We have yet to sail with the new sails but the expectation is to reef less and keep the performance up while sailing flatter.
Cheers,
Merrill
S/V Ambition H49 #40

joel

Genoa size for a 49 with staysail
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2021, 07:25:17 PM »
We will be ordering a new genoa for Rule One this fall.  It currently has a light 150.

The staysail is on a furler, so I am concerned about tacking a large genny through a small space.  However, I'm also concerned about the loss of speed if I go too small.  Where is the sweet spot between ease of tacking and loss of speed in light air?  135? 125? 115? Something else?

We are on the chesapeake, but will be summering in New England and wintering in the Islands in  a couple of years.

Joel
Atlantis 44 #66 (for sale)
Rule One 49#5

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below