Author Topic: Setting up cutter rig on #028 Hylas 46  (Read 706 times)

Ripple

Re: Setting up cutter rig on #028 Hylas 46
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2021, 01:42:45 PM »
I set the inner forestay tension to a point just before the mast shape changes. The running backs are run through a block with a SWL 8500# attached to the padeye for the asymmetrical. So far, no problems.
Jim
46-53

Mazu

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2021, 08:29:48 AM »
Apologies for double post. Dang apostrophes.  I tried to delete the first one.  Failed to.

Following.  Being new to the boat and new to a cutter rig.  I very much appreciate the collective wisdom here.

I deployed the running stays for the first time in earnest (at night) last week when we had gusts to 45 for a while.  We ran with it - having a sliver of the storm jib out.  Boat did great!

We ran the dynema stays through the deck mounted blocks we use for the gennaker sheets and to the secondaries.  Now I am wondering if these blocks are robust enough. Would running them through the aft cleat or a block attached to the aft cleat be better?  Thoughts?

I am also curious/concerned about the tension of the storm sail stay.  Ours seemed super loose.  How much tension should there be?  How urgent is it to have it adjusted if it needs it?

Thanks.
Todd
H46 - 61
Mazu

Ripple

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2021, 01:09:16 PM »
Congratulations, Don, of splashing the boat. The picture posted was taken before I eliminated the 4:1 blocks. Yes, you are correct regarding the rigging of my current backstays. The included picture was taken in Bequia and I was focusing on the junior sailors but if you look closely, the Arimid running back stay can be seen rigged to the padeye.
Jim
46-53

Windswept

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2021, 04:20:45 AM »
Hello Jim and thank you for your kind reply! Sorry for he belated reply as we just managed to get out of the yard! Wheww is an understatement as you well know.   :( Anyway, splash with no leaks! ;)

You indicate you treated you're running back stays as my rigger suggested? Having said that... looking at your pic, it looks like there is a 3:1 or 4:1 block with a cam lock? Is this correct or is this an old pic?? Advise.

So, is the Aramid line....running from the mast T-bolt backing plate down to your large turning block.....and then dyneema to the winch?

Lastly.... when you're employing the back stay (running) where is your anchor point? Toe rail?  or Geona traveler? or?? Needless to say, would love to see a pic in operation or not.

Thanks
Don

Ripple

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2021, 02:10:23 PM »
We modified our running backs as suggested by your rigger for several reasons. When rigging while under way, the swinging blocks were a hazard. We had to use a winch to help release the cam cleat on the lower block. Releasing the cam cleat meant leaving the cockpit and being very careful not getting fingers caught in the cleat; it was a two person operation. With the single line approach we bought the biggest turning block offered by Garhauer and employed aramid line. Advantage is not having to leave the cockpit on tacks or jibes. It does become more difficult to store, we often just tie it off at the turning block but have a a spare Genoa track block forward that is also used to store. Regarding the furling line there are rope clutches for each line near the winches and we sometimes carefully use the winch to help furl the Genoa. The lines are long enough that we can use the starboard winch if on a starboard tack.
Jim
H46-53

Windswept

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2021, 11:01:12 AM »
Members....thank you for your replies. I am getting mixed information here. Sailmaker (North Sails) and West Coast rigger have both suggested not using 4/1 blocks on bottom of running back stays? They are suggesting, using a block at the bottom and using primary or secondary winch on the weather side as those winches are not being used to reduce line clutter?? Advise of your setup??

Secondly....still looking for pictures or verbal description on how your furler lines and sheet lines are routed on staysail?? Thank you!!

Best
Don & Gloria
H46 028

wurzner

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2021, 05:39:49 AM »
Hello Don, I was the one who started the earlier thread.  I like the set-up shown in the photo as suggested, but would question what appears to be minimally sized blocks.  You would deploy them when flying a spinnaker or in very heavy seas, and the loads would be high...as would the ridk of failure in those conditions.  I know the original hardware was extremely robust when i dropped the stick, so they definitely used significantly stronger hardware.  Let me know what you find out.  Cheers, Shaun

Windswept

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2021, 04:20:18 PM »
Thumbs up Ken.....actaully Merrill had PM'ed me this A.M.....regarding (I assume) you're very same link. Thank you!

Now, hopefully I can find pic's of how the staysail is rigged....regarding furling lines and sheet lines. I'm in the process of replacing the standing rigging at the moment....in doing so, I have added a cutter stay as there never was one on "Windswept". I'm also installing Shaeffer's 2100 furler for the staysail, 3100 on the Genoa, top down for the asymetrical.

Baja haha is on the horizon, Mex. for a year, south to Ecuador where we will make our right hand turn. ;) Needless to say, both Gloria and I, can't wait to slip Windswepts lines! Yes!!

Nirvana

• Nirvana - H46 #13
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2021, 11:39:23 AM »
Don, check out this discussion from a bit ago here on the form.  Same questions with some pics

http://hylasyachts.org/index.php/topic,1111.0.html
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 11:41:11 AM by Nirvana »
Ken Sabatini
Nirvana - 1997 Hylas 46 #13

Windswept

Setting up cutter rig on #028 Hylas 46
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2021, 10:09:51 PM »
G'day members.... I'm rigging "Windswept" #028 (2000) as a cutter. I've always had a staysail chainplate and stay backing plate on mast for same. I also have T-bolt backing plate for running back stays. Staysail stay or running back stays were never intalled.

I have now installed cutter stay along with Schaffer 2100 furler. I am currently waiting on new sails (North Sails 3Di) and a T-bolt eye for the running back stays. I plan on using Dynameen for the length and a 4 part purchase block at bottom to secure & tighten.

Couple of questions if I may...

1. If anyone is using the running back stays....would you have pic's of not only the part # of the blocks you used, but where you secured those blocks?

2. Lastly....if you have pic's or description of how you set up your staysail furler, reef lines, and sheet lines??

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Don & Gloria

PS. I have just completed building a hardtop bimini and SS stern arch. Once solar is on arch and ss supports are in place on the bimini....I will post a detailed sequence of build pic's....if anyone would be interested?

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below