Author Topic: How do you treat your drinking water?  (Read 456 times)

joel

Re: How do you treat your drinking water?
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2021, 01:33:33 PM »
Andy,

Thanks for the info!  I would have added way too much chlorine without it!

My 44 holds 100 gallons on each side, so about a teaspoon of chlorine per tank.

Joel

Mccannengineer

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2021, 09:25:02 PM »
304 stainless steel is resistant to localized corrosion by chlorinated fresh water up to 2 ppm chlorine. 316 stainless steel can tolerate up to 5 ppm chlorine.

for potable water 1 - 2 ppm is adequate, unless water has already been treated!

using Clorox Bleach at 7.5% bleach, and the BC Food safe calculator, you need to add 1-1/2 table spoons bleach per 200 gallons of water to attain a 2% solution of water and bleach - or use water from a treated water system - typical for U.S.

to clean/purify the domestic water system - Bi annually, I pour 1/2 gallon into each 200 gallon tank, then fill completely with fresh water.  Operate system until chlorine can be smelled at each outlet, hot and cold water.

Allow system to stand for 24 hours.  Then pump tanks dry, refill each tank with 100 gallons and go for a sail to mix the fresh water with the remenants of the previous cleaning solution.   Then pump dry again - open and close each valve and allow to flow for 5 to 10 minutes.  If tanks are half full and you smell chlorine - pump dry again to reduce level of chlorine.  3rd time is the charm.

Refill each tank.  Don'f forget to flush your toilets and holding tanks too!

If we refill tanks in an area with untreated water, we typically add 1-1/2 table spoons of Clorox to each 200 gallon tank to attain a 2 ppm solution of bleach and water.

Refill tank and your off, with a clean, pure water system.

If you use Clorox you will know the concentration of bleach; like prescriptions - if you buy a sealed brand you know what you have, if you buy from a house - who knows what they have cut it with or how clean it was where they cut it!

Andy McCann
S/V RYA H49/#26

joel

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2021, 06:26:32 PM »
Thanks.  Empty dry tanks will definitely say clean. 

We used the boat intermittently, so drying them between uses is a PIA.

Confirmed with QL that the tanks are 304 stainless.

Found a product called CleanTabs.  Supposed to be safe for stainless.

Ripple

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2021, 06:36:18 PM »
Our tanks are 304 ss and they do not like chlorine so any water into the tank goes through a chlorine filter or water maker. We live on the boat about 5 months a year in the windwards  and run tank water through a filter before consuming. At the end of the season, we pull off the inspection port and sponge  dry the interior, leaving the port open so oxygen can hopefully delay leaks due to corrosion. We have done this 14 years and have not been poisoned yet and the water is not discolored at season end. Maybe you do not need chlorine.

joel

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2021, 01:53:04 PM »
Perhaps they are stainless?  I guess I could check with QL.

Either way, chlorine is not recommended.

I empty the tanks when the boat will be sitting, and the water quality is improving, but I doubt it is drinkable.  I will be adding a watermaker, but I still need to store the water in a tank.

Joel

NordicSunII

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2021, 01:09:32 PM »
I just found this chart.  It seems to suggest that chlorine might not be ok in stainless steel tanks either.

https://www.haywardflowcontrol.com/i.../ChemChart.pdf

NordicSunII

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2021, 12:59:33 PM »
Joel, I also thought the Hylas 44 had stainless  steel water tanks.   Does yours really have monel tanks? How can I verify my are stainless steel?

One option is to install a water maker.  When you make water I assume you don't need to treat it. 

How much chlorine should you  use per 40 gallons of water? 

Alan Steele

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2021, 02:59:51 PM »
The tanks in Legacy H49#64 as far as I know are stainless not monel. Turnover is the best to keep them fresh. A wife with long hair

joel

How do you treat your drinking water?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2021, 02:25:37 PM »
I've read that one should not put chlorine in monel water tanks, but I want to have water that is potable in my tanks.  Buying gallons of water to drink is wasteful and expensive ($7 a gallon in Bermuda1).

How do you keep your water tanks fresh?

Joel
Atlantis
44#66

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below