Author Topic: Leading Main halyard and reefing lines to cockpit on Hylas 44  (Read 109 times)

joel

Re: Leading Main halyard and reefing lines to cockpit on Hylas 44
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2021, 01:26:40 PM »
Sounds like a better plan!  I've got all self tailing winches on the mast and added clutches for each halyard.  Makes it safer and easier to take a break.  The hard part was getting the old winches off.

Joel

NordicSunII

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2021, 06:58:53 AM »
It might be a pain, but I'm thinking first of adding a electric winch for raising the main, using it so my wife can haul my heavy ass up to the top of the mast.  I'll put an electric winch on port one side and a manual self tailing winch on starboard.  Yes it might be a pain to install but nice things always come at a cost.  I also  think of it as a safety factor, for single hand sailing offshore.  I'm hoping some Hylas 44 owner has done this that can provide advice.

joel

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2021, 05:57:48 PM »
I've seen it done on other boats.  It would be a major project to install turning blocks, line organizers, route lines through the sprayhood/dodger and install clutches and a winch or two.  All the hardware would require backing plates, over-drilling the core and filling with epoxy and re-drilling.
You'd also end up with a lot of line in the cockpit.
Going up to the mast to put in/shake out the first reek is not a big deal if the autopilot is working.  If its windy enough for a second reef it gets challenging.

NordicSunII

Leading Main halyard and reefing lines to cockpit on Hylas 44
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2021, 04:58:46 AM »
I'm wondering if any Hylas 44 owners have led their main halyard and reefing lines to cockpit?  I'd like to know how you did it and what it looks like.  Pictures would be good.

I'm considering doing some short handed sailing and being able to adjust main halyard, and take in and let out a reef from cockpit would be great.  Much safer than going on deck. Right now all I can do is roll in the jib from the cockpit.

If you can adjust your main halyard and reefing lines from the cockpit I would love to hear about your setup.

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below