Author Topic: H54 Fridge (Grunert) is dead - what to replace with?  (Read 192 times)

MattH

Re: H54 Fridge (Grunert) is dead - what to replace with?
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2021, 06:16:17 AM »
I agree with Chris on Sea Glub. My Grunert was still was working but it was terribly inefficient. I replaced it with two Technautics CoolBlue compressors. I had the existing holding plates flushed and re-used them which saved me a few bucks. Rich Boren's guy in La Paz did the install. They are simple, reliable,  and come with a five year warranty. I keep my freezer at -15F and fridge at 34F because I like cold beer and hard ice cream. They use less than half the power that the Grunert used. They have worked flawlessly for two years in the water and on the hard. Highly recommended.

S/V Matilda
H46 #46
« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 06:21:39 AM by MattH »

bobknapp

• Quintessa
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2021, 07:44:00 AM »
I would recommend Frigoboat as well. My wife and I have been live aboard since 2013 and the Frigoboat systems have been excellent and very efficient. They are original to the boat (2004) and have been running continuously since we moved aboard, only being turned off for three months each winter. Our systems use two BD50 compressors, one for each box, and have keel cooling condensers. The newer systems come with improved dryer/filters which reduce or eliminate the particle and ice blockage issues. If I were putting in a new system today, I would add the in-series air cooling to at least one box to allow operation when the boat is out of the water.  The only issue I have with Frigoboat is the Distributor in the US, Coastal Climate Control, in Maryland. The office and sales support are very friendly and helpful, but the technical support department or person is a nightmare. In my 40 years of boating and refitting, I have never had a worse experience with a technical support department. Customers are not allowed to contact them by phone, only an anonymous e-mail, and they do not reveal their names. They were arrogant, insensitive, dismissive, and very unhelpful. They were not only evasive on questions, but they withheld information and were even misleading, prolonging the eventual solution. Fortunately, we found a commercial refrigeration person in our remote area who discovered the problem to be a very small leak in the copper tube leading into the evap. plate, no fault of Frigoboat, and got us back up and running.       

Bob Knapp
s/v Quintessa, H49#46

SeaGlub

• Adventures of SeaGlub and the Hesitant Half
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2021, 04:32:26 PM »
Sorry to hear about the ol' Grunert, but when mine went out I actually celebrated. I moved on to Technautics CoolBlue self install compressors. Installed those myself in one day and turned them in San Diego in September 2016. I'm now in Raiatea in the Society Islands after living in Mexico for 4 years. I've basically never turned them off in nearly 5 years and they're running strong. If you're not familiar with Technautics they are owned by the reputable marine products supplier Rich Boren who also owns Cruise RO water makers and has recently been overwhelmingly satisfying customers with a plug and play install of lithium batteries. Just my two cents, I've heard great reviews of the other products mentioned in this thread as well.

Chris
C&M
SeaGlub H46 #22

erikh

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2021, 11:47:19 AM »
I'd recommend a Frigoboat 12V system. Two compressors (one for the freezer, other for the refrigerator), they are small and quiet, efficient, easy to install. Use the keel cooled (hull plates, not fluid) system. Add the digital controls. Many Hylas owners with the original Grunert system have upgraded to this.

On your H54, there likely is space under the cabin sole in front of the refrigerators, under the floor panel. Install the keel coolers right next to them. From there the plumbing to the refrigerators is close by to install the evaporators. This way you can rip out the old Grunert system and gain a sizeable amount of storage space under the aft bed.

Erik Haaland
David Walters Yachts
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 11:49:20 AM by erikh »

Ripple

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2021, 01:18:11 AM »
When we bought our 46-53, it had a Grunert under the aft bunk that sounded like a truck when it ran. Our previous boat had Seafrost that worked well and we immediately replaced the Grunert with two water/air cooled 12v units. Quiet and efficient..very happy with them. The compressors fit in the space where the Grunert was. JR

nesscapade

H54 Fridge (Grunert) is dead - what to replace with?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2021, 05:48:28 PM »
On Flying Lady, our #28 H54 made in 2003 now has now fridge/freezer. The Grunert compressor/pump no longer works. The flywheel doesn't turn, probably due to bad bearing. That unit DC4100BD12 is no longer made. I'm told there is no "compatible" unit made. The current system uses holdover plates and it draws a lot of energy (80amps) to cool and maintain temperature. I'm told that a new 12v system with separate compressor/pump for the fridge and freezer with evaporated coils is the modern and preferred choice - though it would be a very expensive replacement. Have any of you had to replace your fridge/freezer system? If so, what did you use?

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below