Author Topic: Jackline setup  (Read 485 times)

NordicSunII

Re: Jackline setup
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2021, 05:37:11 AM »
Thanks for the response.  I'm guessing you have no dodger, so you can reach those jacklines over head.  I have a dodger so that will not work for me. 

Do you have a halyard winch, somewhere in the front of the cockpit?   Don't suppose you could post a picture of how you lead all lines to the cockpit.

Mccannengineer

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2021, 05:18:10 PM »
when some one leaves the cabin, they first clip onto the cockpit jack line - it's only in the cockpit and there just in Iase a wave takes out the bimini!  which has happened one time; with 5 feet of water inside the cockpit.

The jack lines can be 1" or 1-1/4"  1" is easy to clip onto; 1-1/4" or 1-1/2" have much more strength, but you have to make an arc to get the clip on!

We Run all lines - halyards, sheets, furling, etc., to the cockpit, so very seldom do we go out on deck in a gale!  whether reefing main or gen, it can most likely be done from inside the cockpit!

If you tie the jack lines to the forward cleats and run on either side of mast, inside the stays, you can go right over the top of the bimini!  That way the jack lines are off the deck, easy to grab and clip on.  I also find the crew uses them more frequently!
And as an added bonus, if you fall, the bimini acts as an isolator unless you fall adjacent to the bimini; absorbing the impact.

NordicSunII

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2021, 06:10:58 AM »
Mccannengineer,
Need a little clarification.   When you say you run jacklines "In cockpit from clip point to another".  Does this mean you are running a jackline  close enough to pad eyes so you can clip to a hard mounted clip point when doing work like raising and lower main?  Also are clip points like a pad eye location, say like by the mast to clip to a pad eye when raising and lower main?  Where do you have all the different clip point?  Also when you say " 1-1/2"x 1/8" nylon tow lines with 2 ton min. strength" are you really taking about webbing similar to something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Country-Brook-Design-Heavy-Webbing/dp/B07G293XDZ.  Lastly when you say you run your jacklines "over bimini" I'm a little confused.  I have a fully enclosed cockpit, so I can not picture how I would run jacklines over the cockpit enclosure.  Would you please elaborate a little more on how the jacklines run from inside the stays to the cockpit and back to the stern cleat. 

joel

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2021, 01:10:41 PM »
I use 1 inch webbing such as https://www.karstsports.com/1-tubular-webbing/.

You can use a regular cleat hitch if you lay the webbing flat as you make the turns.

Joel

Mccannengineer

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2021, 07:27:46 PM »
We run one in the cock pit from one clip point to another.

Then two 1-1/2"x 1/8" nylon tow lines with 2 ton min. strength front cleat, inside stays over bimini and back to stern cleat.

Idea is that the tether is long enough to do the work; but will not let you go over. 

If you do go over, the stays will stop you before you reach a terminal velocity that will damage your body and put you in a positions near the winches for easy movement using the boom and snatch block to place you back on board.

Always dry your jack lines, wash them and stow them in a glide bag - sealed.

We have also gone to harness's with a between the leg strap, to keep the harness/life jacket down, around the chest.

NordicSunII

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2021, 02:44:06 AM »
What material do you use for your jacklines?  How do you attach them to your bow/stern cleat?

joel

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2021, 05:38:46 PM »
I run jacklines from the bow cleats to the stern cleats on my 44.   Even when clipped in I can reach the furler etc.  I see no reason to put them further forward.  This also eliminates the need for dedicated pad eyes.

Joel
44#66
Atlantis

NordicSunII

Jackline setup
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2021, 04:50:30 AM »
I have a Hylas 44.  I sail short handed and would like to put some jacklines on my boat for safety.  How do others have there jacklines rigged.  Also which pad eyes do people use, and what make one better than the next.

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below