Author Topic: Rainwater ingress through the mast slot  (Read 304 times)

Lowelp

Re: Rainwater ingress through the mast slot
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2021, 01:44:50 PM »
We built an inexpensive arid style system to keep the bilge dry that works very well:

https://lifeempirically.com/2018/03/12/build-your-own-diy-arid-bilge-or-dry-bilge-system/

erikh

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2021, 12:53:07 PM »
Do not use expanding foam. You're right, it will hinder future service work on the rig and trap water, leading to corrosion.

Depending on the age of the mast and who made it, there may have been a dam installed just above deck level with a couple of drain holes. Even those tend to leak as well.

Almost all keel step masts will leak water, this is normal and why the mast step sits high above the bilge, so the water will run off and down to the sump. Even with your soccer bladder method in place water will still trickle down the electrical cabling inside the mast. You may not like the answer, but when people ask me this question I tell them to leave it alone. This is why there is an elevated mast step and a bilge sump.

If you're the type of boat owner that wants a dry bilge then I recommend installing an Arid bilge system, this will get out practically all of the water in the sump that the bilge pump can't. https://www.aridbilgesystems.com

Erik Haaland
David Walters Yachts

Lowelp

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2021, 05:25:43 AM »
We have the same issue in our mast. I was told that attempting to seal the inside could potentially cause areas of hidden corrosion inside the mast at its base.  We elected to let the water run through and added a system that picks up all water in the bilge so that it dries quickly.

RH2

Rainwater ingress through the mast slot
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2021, 12:12:55 AM »
Hi. We get a lot of water in the bilge coming down the inside of the mast. I have poked a soccer ball bladder into the slot at deck level and placed the pump valve so I can pump it up to expand within the mast. It kind of works ok and certainly  reduces the amount of water but it's not a perfect seal. I have thought about using expanding foam but I am reluctant because it could be a headache running new cables in the future. I thought the soccer ball bladder fix was a brilliant idea but it hasn't quite lived up to expectations! Does anyone have a better solution? Thanks Guy

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below