Author Topic: H49 Tank Tender - inches to gallons?  (Read 377 times)

Michael Cummings

Re: H49 Tank Tender - inches to gallons?
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2021, 07:57:10 AM »
We have hull #28 (1999) and has the same size tanks as you (77 fwd, 68 mid, 50 aft). We also have the Tank Tender but as you know, without the profile its not very useful. One time when my tanks were low, I put 5 gallons at a time in, measured the inches, and made a spreadsheet. I have found it to be fairly accurate but as you probably know, temperature and tank pressure can make a significant difference in the readings. I have found fuel consumption based on RPM/load to be a much better predictor of remaining fuel. This is my personal preference but when getting low, I will refer to the chart as a double check.

If you want to message me with your email, I can send you a copy of the spreadsheet along with the measurement methodology.

Dan
S/V Midnight Mile

Midnight Mile

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2021, 02:07:25 PM »
We have hull #28 (1999) and has the same size tanks as you (77 fwd, 68 mid, 50 aft). We also have the Tank Tender but as you know, without the profile its not very useful. One time when my tanks were low, I put 5 gallons at a time in, measured the inches, and made a spreadsheet. I have found it to be fairly accurate but as you probably know, temperature and tank pressure can make a significant difference in the readings. I have found fuel consumption based on RPM/load to be a much better predictor of remaining fuel. This is my personal preference but when getting low, I will refer to the chart as a double check.

If you want to message me with your email, I can send you a copy of the spreadsheet along with the measurement methodology.

Dan
S/V Midnight Mile

bobknapp

• Quintessa
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2021, 01:15:58 PM »
Ours is a similar setup (2004) except our larger fuel tank below the sole is 82 gallons as opposed to 77 (pretty close). The forward tank (68 gal.) is 21.5" deep and the larger one (82 gal.) is 22.5" deep. Both tanks are 1.4 gal/inch at the bottom and 5.5 gal/inch at the top.  I have not done an accurate profile of the tanks but at some point around 10 to 12 inches from the bottom they transition to the larger width (possibly the larger tank transitions around 10 and the smaller one around 12 due to the narrowing bilge area moving forward).  This is just an estimate but has worked out pretty well from our experience. The aft tank is easy due to it being a rectangular shape (2.9 gal/inch). If anyone has worked it out more accurately that would be good to have.

Bob Knapp
s/v Quintessa H49/46

Finally

• s/v Finally H49-057
H49 Tank Tender - inches to gallons?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2021, 03:55:10 PM »
Hello folks - we own H49-057 (Finally) and I'm wondering if anyone with a similar boat has the conversions on the tank tenders (Hart system) to go from inches (Water / Diesel) to gallons.  I know the tank cross- sections aren't the same (an inch at the bottom of the tank is way less than an inch at the top) so I'm not sure if QL ever provided the conversions.

So checking with this group first, as I think the tank configuration is similar across 49's of a similar build time.  Two fuel tanks under salon floor (68/77 gal) aft tank (we use ours for water, but know they can be fuel - 50 gallons) and two settee water tanks (75 / 125 gallons).

Appreciate any info that can be provided so I don't recreate the wheel (so to speak)....
Greg & Missy
s/v Finally
H49-057

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below