Author Topic: Question on rigging replacement  (Read 1058 times)

wurzner

Re: Question on rigging replacement
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2021, 05:18:30 AM »
I just did all my standing rigging.  I did all the work myself and then had a lical rigger do the swagging and i think it csme out to around $15k...but that included a new shaffer 3100 furler which ran around 4k$.  For me..it was money well spent when you consider the alternative.   My rigger charged a set-up fee and cost per swage.  In our area, all the other shops sub-contact to him since few can do 9/16.  I figure the same usinging a rigger would be $22-25k

svelysium

• Joy and Nick
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2021, 11:01:02 PM »
We just purchased out H46 on August 2020 and are doing a major refit.  Had an extensive survey of the rig and they said it was good to go.  It was a salt water boat and is 2001 build.  I ignored the surveyors and decided to replace everything but the spars (mast/boom/vang/pole).  My rigger ran into so many issues and problems while he was rebuilding the rig.  He sent so many photos of really scary hardware that could have caused major issues.  No one wants to spend that kind of money, however, I can is put the toe rail in the water offshore with no fear of the rig coming down. 

Joy & Nick
S/V Elysium
H46 Hull 35
S/V Elysium
H46
Hull 35

joel

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2021, 03:26:02 PM »
If you see rust at the swages, you need to worry!  If you were to change insurers they might require new rigging.  My neighbor has a 1990 Pacific Seacraft.  He replaced the original rigging a couple of years ago, but the boat gets light use.

Dave Brennan

Question on rigging replacement
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2021, 04:32:28 AM »
We haven't had any problems or issues on our 2005 54.
A rigging inspection in 2018 didn't find any issues with the standing rigging (which included plate inspections behind the walls).
I'm wondering what the group wisdom is on this topic or specific things to look for.

Dave Brennan
H54#38 Anila

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below