Author Topic: Hylas 46 new build quality  (Read 526 times)

erikh

Re: Hylas 46 new build quality
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2021, 02:38:33 PM »
Hey Andy, you've been had SHAH for a good long time, congratulations on such a tenure aboard.

I can help you with your questions.

+ Are they still building in Taiwan or is it now in China? Yes! The same facility in Kaohsiung that your Hylas 44 came out of is where all Hylas' are made and is owned by the same family. Jane & Joseph are still in the yard and if you send them an email Jane is likely to be the first to respond. Their children, Andy & Peggy, are starting to take over the day to day operations of the yard. Currently in production are the H48, H57, H60, M44, M49, and M58
+ Can any comment on production quality of newer boats versus c. 1990 models? The same high quality build techniques go into every build but as technology advances so does the type of equipment put into the boat. For instance a late 1990's Hylas 46 up next to a early 2010's Hylas 46 will have the same hull construction but all of the gear like davits, sails, electronics, electrical, plumbing and such will be much more modern.
+ would there be any date before / after which one should choose to buy a boat? This is really dependent on your budget. An early Hylas 46 can be had in the upper $200's, a late model Hylas 46 will be around $400k. I would recommend the newest you can afford, this will give you fresher equipment.

I'm not sure where you may have heard about a change to the yard location, staff, or quality control, as none of that has changed.

If you have any other questions I am happy to answer those for you.
Erik Haaland
David Walters Yachts
erik@davidwaltersyachts.com

joel

Re: Hylas 46 new build quality
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2021, 06:30:36 PM »
Andy,

We are hull 66!
We've been aboard several of the new boats at the boat show, including the 48.  The newest 46 I've been on is Sparrow Hawk, a beautifully maintained boat.  They are all built in Taiwan.  I got to meet Joseph at the boat show a couple years ago.  His kids are doing a great job running the company, and service is still amazing.
The only change I've noticed is that the bulkheads appear to be covered in laminate rather than wood veneer.  Everything else is still first-rate. 
I understand that some of the early 46's had rudder issues.  I don't know when the rudders were redesigned.
If you want an honest assessment of the 48 I'll give you that too off list!

Joel
sailatlantis@gmail.com

YachtShah

Hylas 46 new build quality
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2021, 05:10:44 PM »
As many will know, I have a Hylas 44 from way back in 1989. She is a beautiful boat and I love sailing her and have lived aboard for 18 years, but now I am considering an upgrade to a newer boat.

I was amazed to see the photos of a 2019 Hylas 46 classic, as a new / nearly new boat has almost identical build features and apparent build quality. Laminated teak grab rails, staircase, galley, rigging, as well as a bunch of upgrades, such as modern lighting.

I have also had several dealing with Joseph and his team from Queen Long in Taiwan. Amazing people.

I believe there have been some changes to the boat yard location / staff / quality control recently, and without wishing to invite any horror stories.. . .

+ Are they still building in Taiwan or is it now in China?
+ Can any comment on production quality of newer boats versus c. 1990 models?
+ would there be any date before / after which one should choose to buy a boat?

Private message would be fine if you don't wish to publish publicly.

Email yachtshah at Gmail dot com

Thanks, Andy

H44 #65 1989 SHAH
Andy Alford, Yacht SHAH, Hylas 44, Hull 65, 1989 - currently cruising Borneo, Philippines and Indonesia

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below