Author Topic: Insurance  (Read 171 times)

Hobiehobie

Re: Insurance
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2020, 09:18:55 PM »
We were in the Caribbean on the hard in Trinidad with plans to sail north to BVI and then to New York via Bermuda in May and sail the boat in Long Island Sound/New England waters for the summer.  Our existing provider wanted  close to 13,000 for coverage (hull around $650k) Pantaenius would not provide coverage, nor would Jackline, Boat US.  We decided to “self insure” as we could think of some great things to do with 13k, particularly when you study the depreciation and deductible fine print.  When (if) we get to US waters we will try again for a cruising plan that is exclusively US. 

Finally

• s/v Finally H49-057
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2020, 07:56:00 PM »
We've used Markel in the Great Lakes and as we looked at adding in East Coast coverage, rate increases were pretty minimal.  Think our agent's plan was to look at other carriers as we talked about movement to the Caribbean.
Greg & Missy
s/v Finally
H49-057

joel

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2020, 12:54:38 AM »
At least it isn’t about anchors!  I use Berkeley Marine.  About$1300 for east coast coverage.  A rider for Bermuda is about 200 more

Joel

jt11791

Insurance
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2020, 06:15:33 PM »
Sorry to post about insurance, one of my least favorite topics  :'( but here goes....

Who's your carrier and what do you pay?  I ask because my situation is changing this year and I'm not renewing with my current carrier, BRIT ($3500USD for coverage last year).

Last year I was covered for US coastal waters and Bahamas, but this year I'm joining the World ARC rally so I need to find more extensive coverage.  Interested to hear from anyone who has or recently had such coverage.  My broker who found my current policy has come up empty thus far.

I have a quote request in to Pantaneous any others I should consider?

Thanks for any help!

« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 06:30:42 PM by jt11791 »

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below