Author Topic: Source for cabin hardware for 1987 H47  (Read 478 times)

KG_Palmer

• Hylas 47 - Celestia
Re: Source for cabin hardware for 1987 H47
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2020, 01:49:56 PM »
I made an intensive search for the right hinge hardware about a year or so ago - I failed to find hinges with the same offset as my Hylas 47 stock hinges. Even hinges I ordered from Queen Long were the wrong offset - they have evidently gone to the offset available from other sources. As best I can tell, back when the boat was built they had a local source of hinges that were custom for them, and that no longer is the source.

I had to pick a hinge that was available, and then modify the mounting wood to accommodate. It’s a compromise solution I’m not entirely happy about.
Grant
1989 Hylas 47
Celestia

tday01

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2020, 05:38:13 PM »
Have you tried Queen Long?

I just ordered hinges for the engine compartment ofmy 2005 Hylas 54 from them. The shipping from Taiwan was steep, but i couldn't find the correct size hinges anywhere else.

Best,

Tony

reveller

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2019, 12:28:01 AM »
Thanks, joel...

I've checked the MMI site and they only have the 3/8" inset hinges.  I've also contacted Seachoice and asked them about the 1/2" inset hinge to which they replied they only have the 3/8".

My next step will be to contact the Queen Long Marine boatyard and see if they ca supply them.

I didn't expect it to be so difficult to find a hinge.

joel

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2019, 06:32:34 PM »
mmimarine.com?

reveller

Source for cabin hardware for 1987 H47
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2019, 05:23:47 PM »
Recently, one of the hinges on our galley trash compartment door finally corroded through.  I found, what I thought was, a replacement for the hinge in the Chandlery.  It was a Seachoice Chrome Plated Brass hinge 2 3/4" x 2 1/8" with a 3/8" inset.  The only problem is the door itself is thicker and requires a 1/2" inset.  I was able to fit the 3/8" inset hinge as a temporary fix, but it doesn't close cleanly and gaps open when closed. I've searched online and browsed through the Seachoice catalog and not found a 1/2" inset hinge.

This morning a hinge on the compartment door under the vanity in the forward head failed. It's time to start replacing this hardware throughout the boat.

Does anyone have a good source for buying replacement cabin hardware such as hinges, latches, knobs, etc?

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below