Author Topic: Water Staining - Mast Cover 46  (Read 382 times)

Moonlight

Re: Water Staining - Mast Cover 46
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2020, 05:15:21 PM »
This response is quite late, but I thought I would share what we do to protect the wood mast cover on our 2000 Hylas 49, Moonlight.
We use long, plastic shower curtains to protect the wood. They are attached buy using the end of the shower curtain that has the metal rings and, by using washers and nuts, connect to the screws that are coming into the boat from the deck. The curtain will likely not be long enough to go through the level of the flooring in the salon. Therefore, another shower curtain is overlapped well, overlapping it about mid-mast, and securing it by putting a line through the holes at the top of the second curtain, wrap it around the mast, and secure that curtain behind the mast, using wire ties. Be sure the second curtain goes through the hole at the bottom and drains into the bilge.
We have done this for years and never have had water come down the mast into the salon or damage the flooring. By the way, we store our brooms and some other housekeeping long items behind the mast, securing them to the post with velcro for easy access. They stay dry as well.

brian black

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2020, 04:56:58 AM »
we finally did our mast partners/collar with SparTite.  It took the big kit, but seemed to work out OK.  We also sealed the spartite with beads of sealant to the mast, etc.  And a new mast boot made from an inner tube, and a sun cover for that.  All good now. 

bjhsail

• 2000 Hylas 46 "Helios"
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 04:25:45 PM »
Merrill,
I had the same issue on the bottom of our curved mast cover. I sealed around the mast base extensively with silicone which seemed to solve the leakeage issue, and replaced the mast boot, and also made a canvas Sunbrella cover to go over the mast boot, to help with UV protection and additional rain protection. Make sure to check inside around each bolt of the mast base - I originally discovered water slowly infiltrating down one of the bolts and dripping down to the bottom of the curved cover, into the groove on the floor board.

I also put multiple coats of varnish on the bottom edge of the curved cover and up several inches on the inside (back side) of the cover, to try to seal the wood grain from any future water intrusion. I did have a small discoloration up from the floor like you show in one of your pics - I covered that with a piece of black "contact" adhesive paper (like shelf liner) that I cut to the same width as the black floor trim under the settees -- looks great. Attaching pic.

Gook luck -
Brad
2000 H46 "Helios", hull #27

Ambition

Water Staining - Mast Cover 46
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2020, 08:14:59 PM »
I have noticed that the beautifully curved teak mast cover is becoming discoloured I suspect from water intrusion. I have a mast boot that ensures water doesn't enter at the partners but I suspect that is far from the only place for water to get in. if anyone has succeeded in making the mast watertight, I would be happy to hear how that was accomplished.
As an alternative, is there a way someone has insured that any water infiltration, stays off the wood?

I just hate to see a beautiful piece of woodwork get damaged.

Thanks in advance
Merrill and Maryse
S/V Ambition H46 #40

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below