Author Topic: Cutless bearing  (Read 395 times)

Windswept

Re: Cutless bearing
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2020, 06:56:15 PM »
Thumbs up and have my fingers crossed! ;)

joel

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2020, 02:29:22 PM »
Don,

Let us know if the cutlass solves the problem.

Joel

Windswept

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2020, 05:38:05 PM »
Thanks for your replies Joel.....the answer to all your suggestions is "no" . I will see what happens after the cutless is changed out. Thanks Don

joel

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2019, 06:30:35 PM »
Let's step back:

Do you hear the noise when the tranny is in neutral?
Do you hear it more often as speed increases?
Could it be as simple as a seizing wire hitting something as it rotates near the flange or stuffing box?
Is is louder if you listen in the aft cabin with the mattress and hatch removed or in the engine room?

It is really a process of elimination at this point.

Joel

Windswept

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2019, 03:56:47 AM »
Joel, Tim, thumps up for your replies. Packing gland too tight? Ummmm. What would be the symthom if it was too tight? Besides fo course not leaking and possibility getting warm/hot?

I ask this because.... when I re-packed the gland last year, I cut 3 pieces of 3/8 packing perfectly (at an angle) so each piece over lapped it self. I then used the ajustable coupling, tightening the two nuts, so as to drive each piece of packing to the bottom of the gland body. I repeated this for the last two pieces of packing but rotated each piece 90 degrees so packing joints were off set. Finally, after maybe 200 hours or so,  I am getting a slight drip under way. Durring this 200 hours I have had the packing nut backed off so as not to create any pressure. Without any drips....many times I have reached down so as to feel if the packing housing was warm or hot. Must report, not even warm!

Tim....as indicated, I have no play. I did just repower in which the old engine had over 10K hours. This hull is 028 so I think the cutless must have been exchanged at some point. Do to our circumnavigation on the horizon.... I figured I would go ahead a change it.

The sound I hear is not a squeaking sound....more like a low, deep slight thump....which was the reason I was asking if there was a bearing of some sorts on the back end (toward the cutless) of the stuffing box. Needless to say, I have now looked at many stuffing boxes on the net....and do not see any sort of bearing in that area.

Puzzled regarding the above sound?

Thanks
Don
Windswept

tbglynn

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2019, 07:34:55 PM »
We have a conventional flax stuffing box and replaced the cutlass bearing 5 years ago because it was worn and failed the "grabbing prop firmly and feeling for any play" test.  At that point the boat was 23 years old and the engine was approaching 10,000 hours.  There was quite a bit of play, but the surveyor, while pointing it out, didn't seem to think it was a mandatory repair.

When we get shaft noise (squeaking) adjusting the stuffing box does the trick.  Remember both the shaft and the rudder will behave a little differently when the boat has been on the hard for a while.  The stuffing boxes dry out and take a while to soak up enough water to be properly lubricated.  Stuffing boxes are supposed to leak a little.

Tiim Glynn
s/v Egraine h 44/45.5 H#84

joel

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2019, 06:52:01 PM »
Is it possible the stuffing box is over tightened?  Iím not aware of any bearing in the stuffing box.

Joel

Windswept

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2019, 01:19:47 AM »
Hello Joel....hey, thanks heaps for the reply. Yes, I'm pretty sure there would not be any kind of bearing between the stuffing box and cutless....I was more thinking, maybe therel is (or not) a bearing within the stuffing box, maybe just behind the packing?

Yes, I have a Max prop...and was serviced at haul out.

No drip less stuffing box....thinking seriously about one though....as engine compartment was cleaned and painted with expoxy durring repower. Needless to say, sure would like to keep it that way! ;)

Don

joel

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2019, 01:09:10 PM »
Don,

There is nothing between the stuffing box and cutless.  Do you have a fixed or movable prop?  Max props etc. need to be serviced periodically.  Is it a drip less stuffing box? 

Joel

Windswept

Cutless bearing
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2019, 11:46:50 PM »
G'day members,
I will be swapping out our cutless next haul out....just because. Seemed tight, at last haul out via grabbing prop firmly and feeling for any play. Having said that....when I am in gear, and listening from aft cabin, I can hear a slight noise that I am sure is coming from the shaft area?

My questions is...... is there a bearing behind the stuffing box? Between the stuffing box and cutless bearing?

The shaft is true as I have set up a guage (pointer) and watch as shaft is rotating.

The engine has just been rebuilt. New motor mounts. The flange to tranny is perfect.
To dial in the flange, I removed old packing and repacked.

Thanks for your time!

Best
Don
H46 #028

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below