Author Topic: Adding adjustable genoa cars to H54  (Read 351 times)

Hobiehobie

Re: Adding adjustable genoa cars to H54
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2020, 08:11:48 PM »
To close the loop.  It appears that Lewmar does not still make adjustable genoa cars in Size 3.  So i got a duplicate pair of plunger cars so now have dedicated cars for Genoa and staysail. 

jt11791

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2020, 07:34:45 PM »
I'm pretty sure that Lewmar does in fact make (or at least made in the past) the parts that you want.  Their online catalog is awful. Some of the parts, like the track ends, are only described as mainsheet traveler parts and often they don't list the larger sizes as available even though they are.  Call them and don't take no for an answer. 

Nirvana

• Nirvana - H46 #13
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2020, 12:40:30 PM »
Completely agree with Aria49 and Jammin on this.  The hardware is nice under certain conditions (had them on our C&C 35 Mk-III.)  However under serious load we still had to unload the jib to adjust.

The rolling hitch to midship works really well for us now.  Switched to that method years ago doing a race to Greenport NY and never went back to the moving blocks.  Now that were not racing its how we do it on Nirvana as well.

Easy to tie as well:  https://youtu.be/OX_kU_jYecU

Ken
Ken Sabatini
Nirvana - 97 Hylas 46 #13

tday01

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2019, 10:54:15 PM »
2nd the vote for Garhauer.

Aria49

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2019, 08:32:28 PM »
Your cruising, perfect sail trim will be something you wont worry about too much.  Even with a reefed Head sail the cars are still good in the original spot, tighter foot but lets the top twist off.  If you have to adjust the cars under sail, use a rolling hitch on the sheet and attach to the midships cleat. Ease the sheet and adjust car,  or tack.  Just my two cents. Happy Sailing!   

Brian Stork
Aria  H49#30

Hobiehobie

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2019, 05:47:53 PM »
Thanks for this.  I was not expecting to be able to adjust under load.  Fully expect to ease the sheet and adjust.  Just want to be able to do it without leaving the cockpit on the leeward side to fight with a flogging sheet and the car. 

Will look into Garhauer Marine

joel

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2019, 03:48:56 PM »
Garhauer has cars with blocks.  https://www.garhauermarine.com/track-blocks-accessories/e-z-glide-adjustable-genoa-car-system.html

I agree you won't be able to move them forward easily (if at all) under load.

Joel

jammin

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2019, 01:12:43 AM »
Im no rigging expert, but I do race on a J120. On Illyria the sheet lead blocks are on ball bearing cars with matching tracks. The cars are controlled by 2:1 tackles. It is impossible to pull the cars forward when loaded. In other words, we have to tack to make that adjustment.

What saying here is that (a) then loads are much higher on a 54 foot boat and (b) you are going to get very limited utility from sticking with t Track and non roller bearing cars. Simply put, youre gonna have to tack to make adjustments in any case.

Just sayin.

Hobiehobie

Adding adjustable genoa cars to H54
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2019, 10:27:00 PM »
We have Hylas 54 #50 2007 and wish to add two additional genoa cars to each track, but with control lines leading back to the cockpit rather than plungers.  Problem is, Lewmar (the makers of the track and current Genoa cars) do not seem to make Genoa Cars with control line sheaves for a 32mmx15mm T track, nor do they make control line end stops with control line sheaves and anchor points.  Has anyone else managed to install Line-controlled genoa cars without changing the track and existing cars?  What did you do? What hardware did you use?

I have been looking for another manufacturer with same size t tracks as Lewmar (32mm wide x 15mm high) but while many have 32 mm wide tracks, they are different heights.

Any thoughts appreciated.

SV Genevieve

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below