Author Topic: Lifting Westerbeke W70 in Hylas 44  (Read 307 times)

joel

Re: Lifting Westerbeke W70 in Hylas 44
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 04:51:47 PM »
I've got a Yanmar, but when I pulled the tranny I was able to just slide the shaft back, but I only needed  to move the tranny back about 3 inches in order to remove it.

Used a sail tie around the aft end to help lift out the old and install the new without breaking my back.

NordicSunII

Lifting Westerbeke W70 in Hylas 44
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2020, 03:19:01 PM »
I have a Hylas 44 that has a Westerbeke W70 installed with a Hurth ZF 25 MA transmission.  The transmission is slipping.  I want to remove the transmission so I can rebuild or replace.   In order to do that I either have to pull the propeller shaft out of boat and dripless shaft seal.  Or raise the W70 motor up so the coupler on the engine is above the coupler on the propeller shaft so I can move the transmission back 4 or so inches to remove.  Has anyone raised there W70 motor up 3 to 6 inches to accomplish this.  Alternatively I could move the motor forward 3 or 5 inches.  Only problem with this is the motor mount bed may not be long enough and the engine will hit the front of the engine compartment.  Any thoughts on how to remove the transmission from engine?

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below