Author Topic: Anyone done a transatlantic on a 44?  (Read 494 times)

joel

Re: Anyone done a transatlantic on a 44?
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2020, 02:31:03 PM »
And the greatest thing about a 44, is they sail beautifully in light wind also, which is much more likely than a hurricane!!

And a nice cockpit in the breeze for the anchorage when you get there.  In a big sea though, you need a decent dodger, but I have never got that wet.

A new dodger is on the shopping list!

YachtShah

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2020, 01:53:37 AM »
And the greatest thing about a 44, is they sail beautifully in light wind also, which is much more likely than a hurricane!!

And a nice cockpit in the breeze for the anchorage when you get there.  In a big sea though, you need a decent dodger, but I have never got that wet.
Andy Alford, Yacht SHAH, Hylas 44, Hull 65, 1989 - currently cruising Borneo, Philippines and Indonesia

joel

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2019, 12:30:07 AM »
John sailed my boat through Hurricane Bob! 

Iíve read the book, and it is a great read.  Iíve also talked to John several times.  Great guy and great storyteller.

Joel

Panama Red

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2019, 10:03:09 PM »
The reason I bought a Hylas 44 was to do a circumnavigation. 

I have researched blue water boats and characteristics and I find the H44 meets most of the requirements for a transatlantic voyage, i.e., water tanks, fuel tanks, rigging, center cockpit. 

What finalized by decision was from John Kretschmer's Book "Sailing a Serious Ocean."  He relates his experience on a H44 in August 1991 when he was overcome by Hurricane Bob, 80 Kts winds when the hurricane went right over him.

I don't plan on sailing into a hurricane (neither did John), but the boat did well and survived with no damage.  There are probably a few better boats for Transatlantic passage, but if the H44 can survive a hurricane, then with a bit of luck and a good weather window in my opinion a H44 can do it.

But keep in mind not even the unsinkable Titanic made it across.

I highly recommend John's book and he has some good advice for sailing a H44 (as well as other blue water boats) in a serious storms.

joel

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2019, 03:57:30 PM »
thanks for the encouragement!

Joel

Windswept

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2019, 02:25:39 AM »
We were looking for a H44 for our circumnavigation...when we ran across our H46 #028. I would have no hesitation sailing with a H44, none what so ever! ;)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 11:36:14 PM by Windswept »

joel

Anyone done a transatlantic on a 44?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2019, 06:56:10 PM »
Although it would not happen for 4-5 years, I'm considering planning a trans Atlantic crossing so we can cruise a portion of the Med. 

Has anyone done this in a 44?  Am I nuts?

Anything out of the ordinary that made the trip easier?  We have a staysail, raft, EPIRB, sat phone (which will be upgraded by then) etc.

Joel
Atlantis
44 # 66

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below