Author Topic: Replacing SS Running Backstays for Dyneema  (Read 194 times)

joel

Re: Replacing SS Running Backstays for Dyneema
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2019, 01:09:51 PM »
I had dyneema installed on my 44.  Thimbles on the bottom end to a 4:1 purchase with a cam cleat.  Didnít want to tie up a winch.

Anthem

Re: Replacing SS Running Backstays for Dyneema
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 03:11:38 PM »
Merrill,

I replaced the running backstay wires on our H46-8 with Dyneema, ran them through single blocks on the quarters, then up to the windward primary winch to deploy.  A control line is attached to the runner through a smaller block at base of aft lower shroud so that it can be pulled forward and out of the way when not in use.  A cam cleat on the side of the cabin top holds this secure when not in use.  Deploying and securing the thing is very quick and easy without having to leave the cockpit.  Under certain very unusual circumstances having the normally unused primary winch unavailable for anything else can be inconvenient, but not often and anyway the runner can usually be removed temporarily.

Jack
SV Anthem H46-8

Ambition

Replacing SS Running Backstays for Dyneema
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 04:05:20 PM »
I am in the process of converting Ambition's stainless steel 8mm running backstays complete with the 4:1 blocks. I have already ordered the mast fittings from Selden to attach the dyneema line to the mast. I would really like to get rid of both the 4:1 blocks and the long coiled line, as they spend so much of their life banging against the shrouds.
I am looking for recommendations on what fittings / arrangement others have chosen for
1. termination of the Dyneema backstay - a ring ferrule?
2. what arrangement to connect aft Wichard D fitting to the backstay and ten forward to a winch?

Thanks in advance for your feedback,
Merrill
S/V Ambition H46 #40

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below