Author Topic: Through Hull fittings H44  (Read 372 times)

YachtShah

Re: Through Hull fittings H44
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2020, 02:39:04 AM »
I am sorry that this reply is so late, and perhaps you have already done this job now.

I replaced all my seacocks - I think 13 or 14 on my 1989 H44, as they had mostly ceased.  I used Groco seacocks, which can be sourced for massive discounts if you look around - circa 50% off West Marine RRP.

I think I made a mistake though, which is why I am posting, as I decided not to replace the actual through hull, and now (some 15 years later) I have two of the original thru hulls have sheared off leaving a untappable hole in the bottom of the boat !!  Scary.

The original bronze thru hulls were removed and did not look pinky from galvanic corrossion, but also were clearly a local manufacturer, as they are not the same design as Apollo or Groco (flat surface on the outside, which I though was nice, so decided to reinstall them - oops.)

Anyway, I would say that they are not up to a 30 year total life (probably not unreasonable) and I would recommend others to change these if they remove them.

ALSO, my original seacocks were not through-bolted into the hull, so when I replaced them with the Groco's, I did the same.  At the time (2003) there was some discussion of the trade off between drilling extra holes through your hull versus the strength of 5200 to the hull. In my case, the 5200 did not hold for two fittings, when reasonable force was applied to the top nut to service the seacock.

And that is something that I am now changing.  I am buying Bronze bolts and am changing to new Groco thru hulls.  No need to change the Groco sea cocks that I bought before though - they are a 'once in a lifetime' purchase.

Of course, in those dark days, we had to read Nigel Calder to know what to do.  But these days we can spend hours watching YouTube videos to learn how to do these jobs.  Sadly they don't all say the same thing!  But I will be putting Groco Thruhulls and Bronze through bolts at the next hard stand.

In the meantime, I can confirm that you should carry wooden plugs on board, and that they work perfectly!!  No stress there.  ;-)  One has been in for nearly a year (from the outside), and has allowed the cruising plan to continue unabated.

I also did not re-install a Green ground wire (based on West Marine adviser and Nigel Calder) and I still wonder if that would have helped.  I think the quote is "there is no need to wire together good quality underwater bronze" but I wonder if this problem would not have happened if I had done that?  Who can tell?  Still there is no rosy colour on the sheered off thru hull, so I think it might have happened anyway.

Food for thought....
Andy Alford, Yacht SHAH, Hylas 44, Hull 65, 1989 - currently cruising Borneo, Philippines and Indonesia

NordicSunII

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2019, 04:26:17 AM »
I bought a groco from Fisheries supply in Seattle. It basically almost fit, but the recessed flange was slightly larger than original.  I just ground out the hull a little to make it fit.  Lots of fiberglass there to take off a little material.

Good luck.

Sailingalice

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2019, 04:17:25 PM »
Thanks Joel

The through hull fittings on our boat are flush mounted and are recessed into the hull. We are having trouble finding replacement parts that are an exact fit. It looks like we will have to be groco fittings and have the machined to fit. Queen long might have something, we are waiting for a reply from them to find out the dimensions of there parts.
Blake and Erica
Alice In Wonderland
H44 number 18

joel

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2019, 06:06:01 PM »
Blake,

I have not had to do this, but I would look at Buck Alconquin:

https://www.hydrasearchrecreational.com/pdf/catalog.pdf

Thru hulls start around page 101

otherwise I would look at Groco.

Joel

Sailingalice

Through Hull fittings H44
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2019, 04:14:51 PM »

I am currently removed all the through Hull fittings on board our hylas 44

We have 7 1 and a half inch
Fittings and 4 one inch fittings. I have tryed to sorce the parts locally but can't find anything close to the originals.

Has anyone done this before and where did  manage to order the parts from.

Many thanks

Blake
Blake and Erica
Alice In Wonderland
H44 number 18

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below