Author Topic: Dorade Vent Covers?  (Read 244 times)

Sailsteady

Re: Dorade Vent Covers?
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2019, 11:15:55 AM »
My 46 came with 4 polished stainless plugs as well so I'm sure they are available from the factory.  I used them last winter while on the hard in Oriental, NC.

Dan
s/v Nepenthe

jt11791

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2019, 04:50:12 PM »
The first trick is to turn the cowls around to face backward in big seas.  It keeps the water from being forcefully rammed in.  The second, as you say, is to remove the cowl and replace with a plug.  Are you certain there aren't plugs onboard somewhere?  My 54 came (to me) with these plugs stashed in a locker.  They are just stainless discs with the appropriate thread.  They measure at 4" diameter, which is close to 100mm.

alan

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2019, 03:34:38 PM »

I believe they are of local Taiwan manufacture.Mine came with a.pair of screw covers.An email to Jane at.Queen Long Marine will answer the question promptly and either supply the part or name.the supplier.

Alan
Blue Moon
Hylas 56-09
Show quoted text

tday01

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2019, 04:44:19 PM »
I like that idea!

NordicSunII

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2019, 04:31:53 PM »
In the golden old days I sailed on my dad's 1941 wood boat where the dorade would get splashed bad when the boats deck was awash.  My dad had a canvas cover that would go over the vent and that just tie around the base of the dorade.  I'd go that route because it makes it easy to cover and uncover the vent without the risk of unscrewing the vent hood and losing it overboard or damaging it by dropping it.

tday01

Dorade Vent Covers?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2019, 03:58:37 PM »
After discovering empirically that the dorades on my 2005 Hylas 54 do not prevent water egress in large breaking seas, I was wondering if anyone knows who the manufacturer is and if they sell dorado vent covers that can be screwed in in place of the dorades?

Thanks,

Tony

SV Alcyone

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below