Author Topic: 1990 Era Inverter-Charger Install in Multi Port/Starboard 12V Bank (Questions?)  (Read 164 times)

jt11791

My boat has separate charging systems for the house bank and the engine/windlass/bowthruster bank.  There is a tie switch which will link the two banks, but I consider that an emergency-must-start-the-engine-now switch that isn't used otherwise. 

The engine/windlass/bowthruster batteries are charged by the engine alternator or a 50amp battery charger.
The house batteries charge from an auxiliary alternator on the main engine, a big Outback inverter/charger, and solar & wind. 

I think separating the systems in this manner makes sense and your boat probably came from the builder the same way, with the windlass/bow thruster battery charging with the start battery.

wurzner

1990 Era Inverter-Charger Install in Multi Port/Starboard 12V Bank (Questions?)
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2019, 06:13:11 AM »
I am replacing my current Charles 30 amp charger with a 5000W/200 Amp Victron inverter/charger.  My current system is four 4 D batteries  (2 port/2 starboard) and then two additional start batteries for the engine (1) and genset (1) that have a A/B/Off switch.  I have no idea how the 2 additional batteries up front for the windlass/bow thruster get their charge from ( I haven't gotten that far yet).  If any of you have performed an upgrade of this kind on a 1992 era boat or have some words of wisdow...I am all ears.

Thanks
Shaun
1991 Hylas 51

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below