Author Topic: Mast boot & chocks  (Read 129 times)

brian black

Re: Mast boot & chocks
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2019, 05:53:23 AM »
We just recently redid ours (H46) using Spartite, seems to be working out OK.  Ours had fore and aft foam pads, they had all come loose.  We caulked the top of the Spartite to get it pretty watertight, and then put a boot on made out of a smallish inner tube.  That worked out to be waterproof, we then topped it with a vinyl fabric sun protection.  So far, so good

Windswept

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2019, 07:02:35 PM »
Thanks Merrill & Andy for your inputs!! Just getting back in town, but last Friday, I called Scott of Seldon mast. Scott informed me....yes, your chocks are correct i.e. fore and aft only. For some reason after removing my old boot and seeing no chocks port or starboard....seemed strange. I was thinking there would be a special chock that fits around the deck hold down turnbuckles.

The other issue was....there was a half inch difference between (port & starboard) between the mast and deck boot. I was thinking while I had all shrouds loose(5200ing chain plates) to center the mast within the mast boot....which I believe to be wrong. The more I pondered...& observed, the actaul deck boot is not in the center of the deck/boat. I inturn tuned/straighten the mast (with aft rake) using cap shrouds, fore and aft stays..... teninsioned all stays using measured strech technique. I then used I belive CSI (West Marine) preformed mast boot....somewhat difficult to install,  that looks pretty smart. I'll take a pic today and post.

btw; We slipped Windswept out into the Bay yesterday.....an must report, she sails great with the new tune! ;))

Don H46- 028

Ambition

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019, 01:54:15 PM »
Don,
On Ambition, a 2002 46 we have exactly the same setup as yours. We have pulled the mast twice the last 4 years and we reinstall the chocks in the same spot each time and have had no issues. Andy mentioned a good solution to use as a boot. We have used a mast boot tape from C.S. Johnson called Rubbaweld. It is a Self-Amalgamating Rigging Tape that is 3" wide and we stretch / apply two rolls. It discolours over a couple of years so we have a "to do" to build a canvas boot cover to protect it from the sun and dirt.

Merrill and Maryse
S/V Ambition h46#40

Knoxan

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2019, 09:38:07 AM »
That is the same arrangement on H46#32 True Brew. I believe chocks are only required fore and aft. Lots of debate on their necessity. The most popular reason is to resist the forces imposed by the boom being 8 feet or so up from the base of the mast. With a deck stepped mast the forces are near the base and the bending forces are less.
Incidentally, I use a strip of butyl rubber left over from relining my garden pond as a mast boot. Wrapped it around the mast about three times with the finishing gap facing aft. Works a treat and better than any commercial product.

Andy

Windswept

Mast boot & chocks
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 02:19:50 AM »
Members....I removed our old mast boot today so as to replace. I find the mast is chocked aft (pic) and forward but, no side chocks. Is this correct? I can see the mast can not be chocked continious due to the deck hold down turnbuckles. Anyone have pics or ideas? Thanks Don H46 "Windswept" 028
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 07:51:15 PM by Windswept »

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below