Author Topic: Self Sterring or auto pilot for Hylas44  (Read 198 times)

Sailingalice

Re: Self Sterring or auto pilot for Hylas44
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2019, 06:16:02 PM »
That is a good question.

For us the tiller pilot is great for two reasons, its easy/cheap to replace and easy to find a replacement anywhere in the world secondly the power saving when sailing is really amazing compared to the standard ram auto pilot. I would also say that fitting the tiller pilot to a wind vain would be a much easier job because everything is above deck except running the power cables of course. 

The down side is the fact that you have lines let back to the cockpit but if this is for back up only its a small inconvenience in my mind.

The other thing to consider is if the cables snap for the wheel steering. Then the auto pilot connected to the steering quadrant is you only back up. However I have also thought there would be some way to rig the steering lines from the wind vain back to the emergency tiller if this happened but this would all take time sort out.

All in all there are many ways to go about this none of them are perfect as is always the case with sailing.

Blake 
Blake and Erica
Alice In Wonderland
H44 number 18

NordicSunII

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2019, 03:06:22 PM »
Question!  My Hylas 44 already has a Monitor windvane on it, but doesn't have the addition hardware to mount a tiller pilot to steer using the Monitor windvane.    Also has a ram mounted autopilot from Simrad.  Now hear is my question.  If you already have a windvane installed and working, then would you buy the hardward and tiller pilot as a secondary autopilot, or buy a secondary ram mount and the control head to have a secondary redundant autopilot.

Sailingalice

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2019, 06:15:24 AM »
Hi Panama red,

I will post some pictures when back on the boat, this should be towards the end of October.

Blake
Blake and Erica
Alice In Wonderland
H44 number 18

Panama Red

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2019, 11:07:01 PM »
Sailingalice

Please post pictures.  One thing I do not like is all the rope to the cockpit wheel for self steering.

BTW I have Hylas 44 #19.

S/V Sugarbear

Sailingalice

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2019, 07:49:43 PM »
When we bought our 44 the boat came with an aires wind vain installed to the center on the transom.
During sea trails before leaving to deliver the boat 1500nm back to our home port we found the old Raymarie unit had stopped working.
Luckily we had the wind vain as back up.  The wind vain is set up with a ray marine tiller pilot with a wireless remote so you can change course from the cockpit. This uses next to no power because use the forces of the water to turn the wheel via a few blocks back to the wheel. This system works unbelievable even with 40knots and 3m  swell on the beam the tiler pilot and aires vain combination kept us on a steady course all the way home under motor or sail. We have not yet to tried the vain just on wind propulsion because the tiller pilot worked so well we stuck with it. To change the tiller pilot to wind vain is literally a 2 minute job as long as the lines are run to the wheel.  There is a manual clutch on the wheel to engage and disengage the vain from the manual steering,. This all took some time to figure out but now its a very simple system to set up and use.     

Ended up fixing the old raymarine linear drive unit for 10 dollars, there was a faulty transistor in the main computer
So we now have redundancy of two electric auto pilots for motoring or light wind sailing and then the wind vain for all the long haul stuff.

We are really happy with this set up, and very lucky it came with the boat when we purchased it.

If anyone is interested I can post some pictures when I am back on the boat.
Any questions please ask   

I hope this helps

Blake

Blake and Erica
Alice In Wonderland
H44 number 18

tbglynn

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2019, 02:54:56 PM »
We reached roughly the same conclusion as Ambition.  Self steering is too much additional trouble and wouldn't fit well on our after market reverse transom.  Egraine came with a Raymarine autopilot with an electric linear drive which worked very well until it didn't.  After repairs, we decided to make the system fully redundant, adding a second Raymarine autopilot, computer, fluxgate compass, rudder sensor.  To take advantage of the existing very robust mount (critical to reliable autopilot function) and in keeping withthe KISS principle, I set this up so that it requires a physical swap of the drive unit.  Both drives are fully wired in place and it's a matter of two cotter pins and two switches.  Not fun in a seaway, but doable.  Each system has its own breaker on the panel.

Tim Glynn
Egraiine H44/45/5 Hull #84

jt11791

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 05:31:53 AM »
Renegade has two fully redundant autopilots, ie. two drive units, two computers, two compasses, two control heads.  I can change from one to the other by flipping one switch at the nav station.

I did have one trip when both drive units failed and we had to hand steer the last 900nm, but that was very unlucky and I'm not too worried about a repeat of that.

Ambition

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 08:56:49 PM »
On board Ambition we opted to carry fully redundant back-up system rather than adding more complexity of adding self steering. Keeping all the required spares for two unique systems and to keep them up and running is more effort than a good set of spares and knowing how to install them IMHO. One item that may seem obvious but worth mentioning is to have a GOOD quantity of hydraulic fluid - it is amazing how much you can loose while troubleshooting or repairing while in bumpy conditions.

Merrill and Maryse
S/V Ambition H46 #40

Panama Red

Self Sterring or auto pilot for Hylas44
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 08:00:25 PM »
After pricing various self steering systems that I would use if the auto pilot died, I was wondering if it would be cheaper to just buy and carry a backup auto pilot?

Rough estimate for self steering:  hardware $10-12K, installation $2-3K.

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below