Author Topic: H46 Feathering Propeller  (Read 407 times)

burtpreston

Re: H46 Feathering Propeller
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2019, 01:24:39 AM »
We have had a 3 blade Maxprop and a 3 blade Auroprop on our Hylas 44. The Maxprop offers slightly less drag folded and it is very good for maneuvering/stopping. The Auroprop feathers, just not as well as the Maxprop. Where the Auroprop excels is in motoring and motorsailing. We gained 0.7 knots for the same RPMs. We travel from the Bahamas to Maine and back each year, so for us the extra speed is wonderful. We find that we are often motorsailing when we are trying to jump distances. With 8 knots apparent wind over the quarter or beam we can easily be traveling at 8 knots in flat seas with the engine running at 2000 RPMs. May not be purists, but it is very comfortable and my wife is happy.

The Auroprop is good in this situation because it automatically increases the prop pitch if the engine has spare power. Typically you fix the pitch of the prop/ Maxprop to give you hullspeed at full RPMs. By definition then you will be underpitched at less than full RPMs. The Auroprop increases the pitch at less than full RPMs and utilizes some of this unused power. The drawback to the Auroprop is that blades do not pitch properly until there is flow across the blades. Therefore starting up and stopping are nowhere as good as with the Maxprop.  Both are equally easy to maintain.
Burt Preston
H44 - 83. Exuberant

brian black

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2019, 05:49:33 PM »
we´ve had two MaxProps.  The first I bought new, it worked great.  The second was old, and came with our present H46. Even after a factory rebuild it didn't work well.  We then went with a Gori.  It's a pretty piece of kit, but I miss being able to adjust the pitch.  And when we sit at th e dock for too long, it gets hard growth on the exposed gears, which can freeze it up.  So we try to remember to run the engine, in forward and reverse, very week.  But if you're leaving the boat for a few weeks . . . The Max Prop, being sealed, doesn't have this problem.  The VariProp also looked good, but we had delivery problems. 

wurzner

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2019, 05:06:41 AM »
 You typically can't go wrong with any feathering prop; they all offer better reverse characteristics aside from the 1/2 or so you pick up in lighter conditions.  I haven't put one on my 51 yet, but will most likely put the 4 bladed KIWI prop on.  I put a 3 bade on my Ericson 38 and I really liked it.  It made such a difference that I most often backed into the slip because the stopping power and lack of prop walk made it so incredibly easy.  I also like the fact that it only uses the prop rotation to change directions do to the fact it pivots.  Having an extra set of blades was a nice feature, as was the incredibly low weight of the complete prop. It is a very very simple design and while I never had to....the simplicity of changing an individual blade was very attractive.  I did have to tweak the pitch, but that is very easily done as well.

I bought it for my 38 because I was racing a fair amount and  it offered the most value for my budget.  That being said, I work around 300 yards from PYI and they are incredible people to deal with.  I drop in there for friends who have questions and their customer service is 2nd to none....great folks.  I will send an update once i put the KIWI on...hopefully it does the trick again.

Updates to follow...cheers.

Shaun
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 05:15:22 AM by wurzner »

Nirvana

• Nirvana - H46 #13
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2019, 11:38:22 PM »
The feathering prop has a multitude (13x7) of options for pitch.  These are by varying degrees for both forward and reverse conditions.  If it is set properly it should not be a very different load at all on the engine/transmission than the fixed blade.  Nirvana reaches hull speed at or below ~2600RPMs depending on sea-state on the Yanmar 4JH2-TE.  Your mechanics are correct in that a Yanmar (or any Diesel, marine or otherwise, for that matter) should  definitely be loaded regularly to run efficiently.  Obviously within limits.  :) 

As a good practice we regularly push it to 2800 for an hour during any given transit as well as make sure, needed or not, we run the Engine drive refer. compressor simply to make sure she’s properly loaded.

If you’re reaching hull speed at less than spec  I would consult PYI for the correct prop pitch setting on the prop and have it checked when the boat it hauled. 

Just my 3.0625 cents worth.   ;D
Ken Sabatini
Nirvana - ‘97 Hylas 46 #13

Kaian

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2019, 09:03:30 PM »
Have those who use a folding or feathering prop and their Hylas 46 noticed any changes in engine RPM behavior?  We had a three blade max prop and even though under power we would still reach hull speed, the rpm's were considerably lower than with the fixed prop. Several mechanics indicated that was not a good condition for
the Yanmar. After much experimentation, consultation, and inspection the RPM's remained low. So, fearing stress on the Yanmar, we put the fixed prop back on and RPM reading went back to "normal"... but of course we lost some speed under sail.
Robb,
sv Kaian,  Hylas 46 ( built in 1999)

stgermain45

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2019, 07:20:25 PM »
We have a 3 blade Bruntons Autoprop H6 on our 46. I completely rebuilt it about 2 years ago and was extremely impressed with the build quality. I like that the normal servicing is just an easy greasing during haulout with a grease gun and all the wearing parts are replaceable if needed. We bought the boat with the Autoprop so I can't comment on boat speed difference vs a fixed prop. In reverse, we also have very little prop walk. Anyhow, we're happy with it. The only downside I see is cost, but I don't think any of the feathering options are necessarily friendly on the wallet.

Chris

SeaGlub

• Adventures of SeaGlub and the Hesitant Half
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2019, 02:01:14 PM »
 We have the the Max Prop 4 blade 16". Set screws are customized to your transmission specs gear ratio.  After 20-25 hours we noticed we were getting a very slight vibration at higher forward RPM, we changed the forward set screw (while still in the water) and have been happy ever since, 4 years later.  Versus are former fixed prop we also gain about 1/2 knot, we find that we reverse much better with less prop walk, and the shaft and tranny are no longer spinning while sailing.
C&M
SeaGlub H46 #22

Nirvana

• Nirvana - H46 #13
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2019, 11:03:26 AM »
Hi John, we have a 3-blade MaxProp on our 46.  Unfortunately I cannot tell you the spec though I should be able as I removed it and fully serviced it the first year we acquired Nirvana.  PYI will give you the specific sizing for the new prop, they only need engine HP, shaft size and vessel specs. 

The prop, like all winches and Windlass, had apparently either never been service or service very rarely with the wrong grease.  After complete removal, cleaning it was clear the materials held up well to even that abuse and were able to be put back in service with proper grease, no parts replacement required.  A testament to PYI engineering and quality.

I can say I am very pleased with it.  We also had this same prop (smaller) on our prior boat and it never failed, performed extremely well the entire 17 years we had her.

Lastly PYI (MaxProp) is extremely helpful and great to work with. 
Ken Sabatini
Nirvana - ‘97 Hylas 46 #13

Obsession

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2019, 10:05:22 AM »
Look at the three blade folding prop from Flex O fold.  I have one on my 44 and it is simple and effective. 

fredtodd

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2019, 09:02:13 PM »
We have a 4-blade MaxProp on our 56. It was initially a bit tricky to feather with (our) hydraulic transmission but, once you figure out what works best with your boat & set-up, it works great. I agree with about a half knot gain in speed and wonderful silence while sailing. The PYI folks are great with support and technical questions.

joel

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 07:58:17 PM »
I've got a 3 blade Max-prop on my 44.  It's good for about 1/2 a knot.  PYI has great customer service and can give you a recommendation.

Joel
Atlantis

John

H46 Feathering Propeller
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2019, 02:45:31 AM »
I am contemplating installing a feathering propeller on our H46 to replace our fixed pitch 19x14 prop.  Does anyone have experience with feathering propellers on a H46 and if so what type/size/brand.

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below