Author Topic: H54 bow thruster problem  (Read 483 times)

Dave Brennan

Re: H54 bow thruster problem
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2019, 06:29:05 PM »
I just want to add this that I had a problem with the thruster only running in one direction and the problem turned out to be carbon on the relay contacts from arcing that occurs when the thruster is used. Fortunately, the relay is easy to disassemble to clean the contacts with some fine sandpaper.

jt11791

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 12:22:19 AM »
Just to close the story here, it was the batteries after all.  They showed 12.9 V but could not put out the amps to run the thruster.  Replaced them and the thruster is running as it should.  The old (Lifeline) batteries were from 2012.

Brewgyver

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2019, 06:40:38 PM »
I would check all electrical connection points for corrosion, loose nuts or crimps, etc.  A bad connection can still show normal system voltage at zero current, but when the circuit is completed, the connection can't carry the current, the relay drops out, current drops and voltage goes back to normal, and then the cycle repeats rapidly.  If the connections are all good, then your relay is suspect, to help confirm that, remove the leads to the thruster and try again, if the relay is the culprit it should still chatter.

jt11791

H54 bow thruster problem
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2019, 12:47:32 AM »
My bow thruster isn't working.  After a period of heavy use, it started running slower and then stopped altogether, making me think I had run the battery down.  However, investigation showed that the batteries aren't low, voltage is 12.9 and they run the windlass just fine.  Further examination found that the thruster spins freely, it isn't jammed with a line or anything else, and the motor brushes are is good condition.

I think the thruster is actually fine and the problem is with the series-parallel switch.  There are two 12V batteries that run the 12V windlass and are charged by the engine's 12V alternator.  These also run the 24V bow thruster and there is a series-parallel solenoid switch that activates and puts the two batteries in series to make 24V when the thruster is used.  When I hit joystick for the thruster, there is a loud clicking from the series-parallel switch, like it's closing and opening rapidly.  Burned contacts or otherwise damaged switch?  Sound likely?  I looked the switch over carefully, but I haven't found any markings on it, no manufacturer or part number.  Has anyone ever had to replace theirs?  Here are photos with and without the plastic cover.

Thanks for any ideas!

Jeff Taylor

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below