Author Topic: H49 Rudder Bushing Replacement  (Read 318 times)

Dealatis

Re: H49 Rudder Bushing Replacement
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2019, 01:04:45 AM »
Send email I have pix take during rudder Bearing remove/replace on H49-035...jack, my email Clare-jack@earthlink.net

jklarason

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2019, 03:34:27 AM »
Well Ripple I can state that the stuffing box on Hull#3 is some what like your drawing absent the Plastic Bushing. Since my posting I have heard from QL that there is no bronze bushing at the base of the post. The base is SS pin on SS post. As for the stuffing box it is three layers of flax packing in compression. So my remaining question is how to true the hole in the bottom of the post given the limited space....

Ripple

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 08:10:47 PM »
If your rudder stuffing box looks like the attached drawing, I may have some helpful insight. JR

jklarason

H49 Rudder Bushing Replacement
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 11:28:41 PM »
1993 H49 Hull #3 and the upper and lower bushings need replacement. Excessive lateral rudder post movement has caused excessive leaking from the rudder post stuffing box. I am aware of all that is involved in removing the rudder. I need information regarding the lower pivot pin and bushing. QL does not have specific records on Hull#3 and so there is a question as to whether or not there is a bronze bushing at the bottom of the rudder post. We know the post is 62.5mm diameter stainless and we also know the pivot pin which is bolted to the bronze skeg shoe is 30mm dia SS. What is not yet known is whether there is a bronze bushing inserted into the bottom of the rudder post. As my boat is still in the water on passage and I would like to have parts delivered in advance of hauling... So here is the question, can any H49 owner tell me if there is a bronze bushing visable at the base of their rudder post ??  A photo would be so wonderful as it would allow me to more directly communicate with Vincent at QL.   

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below