Author Topic: Removing galley sink / replacement  (Read 107 times)

joel

Re: Removing galley sink / replacement
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2019, 04:46:42 PM »
Kindred does have a single bowl model that will work, as do Elkay and Blanco.  Kindred seems to be sold only in Canada.

We are contemplating going with quartz for a different look.

Also, we can have a custom stainless sink built to the original specs for a couple hundred dollars more.

Thanks for the advice!
Joel

stgermain45

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2019, 10:13:08 PM »
Our current double sink is a "Steel Queen" model manufactured by Kindred. Maybe they have some suitably deep options.
http://www.kindred-sinkware.com/

One option is to switch to undermount style where exact fit isn't critical. It could open you up to a bunch of options from various manufacturers. We selected a Hahn for a replacement (single basin), but they have 10" deep double basins.
https://www.shophahn.com

Chris
SV Beleza, H46 #44
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 10:44:53 PM by stgermain45 »

joel

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2019, 09:00:24 PM »
Hylas provided me with info on the original sink.  It was a Polar 102-1.  It is no longer made.

I've looked on-line but can't find one, so I am looking at options.  There are single bowl sinks that are just as deep, but I have not found a double bowl sink that deep that fits.

Info is:
Brand: Polar
Model: 102-1
Length: 25"
Width: 17"
Individual bowl size: 10" x 14"
Depth: 9-3/4", Drain: 3-1/2" in center of bowls
Cutout size: 23-5/8" x 15-5/8"
Self-Rimming-Heavy Duty
Extra deep

Sailsteady

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2019, 04:41:09 PM »
Following!

joel

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2019, 05:34:51 PM »
I removed the plywood box only to find that none of the clips or studs were remaining.  The sink was held down with adhesive. With a couple putty knives, hammer, multitool and heat gun I removed the sink. 

joel

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2019, 02:42:21 AM »
Thanks. Iíve got a drop in sink. It never occurred to me that they would attach the sink first. The plywood box will be removed. Worst case I will cut out the sink and replace it.

stgermain45

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 01:34:52 AM »
No firsthand experience yet, but this has long been on our non-priority project list. We have a new single basin replacement sink still in a box in a storage unit.

http://hylasyachts.org/index.php/topic,762.0.html

Removal will depend on whether yours is overmount or undermount. From your description and since you're asking in the first place, it sounds like yours is undermount like ours and much more difficult a task. This was the response from an engineer at QL when we inquired:

It is big modification.  We installed the galley sink before we installed the countertop.   Here are our suggestions for how to remove the galley sink.

Suggestion 1 - from top counter: Remove the fiddles around the countertop -> remove countertop -> after then remove the galley sink.

Suggestion 2 - from engine room: Destroy plywood around galley sink then remove the galley sink

We hope some helps.  Please feel free to contact us if you have questions.

We assume there are your typical undermount style clips/brackets holding it in, but we haven't gone down to that level of exploratory surgery. Would really appreciate pictures if you get into this project!

Chris
SV Beleza, H46 #44

joel

Removing galley sink / replacement
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 11:35:55 PM »
Iím trying to remove the galley sink on my 44 so I can have new Formica installed. Is it held in by clips?  How do you access them?  Looks like the plywood box needs to be removed.

Has anyone replaced the sink?  Iím having trouble finding one that fits. 

Joel
Atlantis
44 #66

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below