Author Topic: Lead ballast in transom?  (Read 311 times)

joel

Re: Lead ballast in transom?
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 04:23:03 PM »
My 44 does not list, but fuel tanks are in the center, I only have 4 6 volt batteries and a starter, no washer and my A/C units are on starboard. I tend to fill the starboard water tank because the fuel fill and port water tank fill are close to each other and I don't want to screw it up!  (They take different keys, so the winch handle does not open the water tank fill.)

When LifePo batteries come down in price, maybe we will all list to starboard!

Hull 66
Atlantis

tbglynn

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 04:05:26 PM »
My understanding is that the 44s list to port.  Certainly Egraine (#84) does.  Both heads on port side, washer dryer, port fuel tank, 600 lbs of batteries, 280 feet of 3/9s chain in the port chainfall locker, both air conditioners on port side.  Not surprising.  Add to that that on Egraine the starboard water tank has been removed to make room for the watermaker. 

I know one owner who rigged lead ballast starboard side to correct the list but the idea of adding weight to an already very heavy boat makes no sense to me.  Once the boat is underway, the hull form and airfoils take over, the boat levels out and there is no detectible deficit from the uneven weight distribution, even in light air. At least in my view, the list is a cosmetic problem at the dock and I would worry about something else. Which is not to say that when sitting on the lawn looking at my boat head on it doesn't annoy me, particularly because the gimbaled radar mount self levels and accentuates the appearance. 

Tim Glynn
s/v Egraine

NordicSunII

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2019, 07:51:59 PM »
Sorry to hijack this post but I have a Hylas 44 and it list to PORT.  Are others with a 44 having a listing to port issue?   I'm guessing it is because all most of the storage lockers and batteries are on the port side.   I'm wondering what people are doing to offset this listing.  Are they doing nothing? Or moving the batteries, adding lead, etc.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

David Comroe

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 07:45:35 PM »
Yes. The lead is balast installed at the factory to counteract the well known Hylas port list. Most of the cabling, the batteries, electronics are located port side. My Hylas 46, #17, had the same balast plates. My Hylas 54 had the port list without the balast. If you look at any Hylas at the dock, from the bow on, you can observe the port list.

Dottie

Lead ballast in transom?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 06:48:09 PM »
Hi - We are trying to mount a Hydrovane system on our 2001 Hylas 46, and during the (attempted) install we encountered lead blocks in the transom on the starboard side beside the swim ladder, which prevented accessing the area to install the backing plate. We know others have installed Hydrovanes, but looking back it seems they are all on the port side. One Hylas owner told us that the lead ballast is installed on the starboard side during manufacturing to counteract a port list in the Hylas design. Can anyone confirm this, and also confirm that the port side of the transom is accessible... before we drill another access hole in the lazarette locker? We would be grateful for any tribal knowledge here, given what we have already sunk into labor costs for this little project!

Dottie (SV Amari)

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below