Author Topic: Seacocks don't close  (Read 362 times)

Knoxan

Re: Seacocks don't close
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2019, 09:26:34 AM »
I found a couple of years back that the seacock for engine cooling water did not close and so I had it replaced at the first haul out. Several issues came up whilst doing so. Firstly it was so near to the engine bed that the seacock could not be unscrewed from the thru hull. We had to cut off the spindle to give clearance. We than discovered that the thru hull was so short that the seacock was attached to the thru hull with only two turns of thread. I understand threads should engage by five threads to achieve design strength. The thru hull was replaced with a longer one with one guy inside holding the new seacock with the handle pointing the right way and the thru hull locking nut, a second guy screwed in the new thru hull from outside. The old seacock was dismantled for curiosity and we found the nylon seat around the ball had disintegrated.

Andy
True Brew
H46#32

jt11791

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 06:32:32 PM »
Yes. I first noticed when sailing off shore and water backed up the head sinks even with the seacocks closed.  A previous owner had "fixed" one of the sinks by installing a second ball valve on top of the first one. 

I hope these are rebuild-able.   I may try plugging the throughhull from the outside and removing the valve to see what is what, but some of them are going to be tough to get at, for certain.  I wasn't planning a haul-out anytime soon.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 06:36:07 PM by jt11791 »

brian black

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 06:06:41 PM »
when we got our 1996 H46, many of the seacocks didn't seal well enough.  so we had them all replaced.  expensive!  many are in locations difficult to reach and service, or unscrew.  They also had a octagonal top that also would have made removal more difficult.  the boat techs cut the through-hull fittings from the outside, and were able to pull the seacocks out with the through-hull attached, from the inside.  and then put in new through-hulls and seacocks.  OK so far, but . . . they didn't put in proper blocking between the seacock and the hull, with screws through the seacock flange.  instead they just set them in sealant.  5200(!).  and the seacocks they installed were Apollo's, who make two lines of seacocks.  they put in the cheaper ones, which it turns out are not rebuildable.  Apollo's more expensive line are.  and now they're leaking again.  the H46 is deep enough that heeled over and in a moderate sea, water comes up in the forward or aft sink.  we've purchased rubber stoppers we press into the drains, it helps.  we're going for haulout soon, we'll redo some of this.  so many lessons learned . . . really proper seacocks available still from Spartan Marine. 

Ambition

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 03:22:34 AM »
Ambition is a 2002 Hylas 46 and I had at least 4 seacocks that I couldn't close and when we pulled the boat out of the water a number of others that I thought were closed, were in fact still open. As a testament to the quality that Hylas puts into their yachts, I instructed the yard in Antigua to pull out and replace all 18 through hull valves. Much to my surprise, the yard removed all the valves, tore them down and cleaned them up and reinstalled them without any replacement. Al of them now completely close and move freely. Find the right person to execute the overhaul and you you will be more than happy with the results ... I certainly was!!!

Merrill and Maryse
S/V Ambition H46 #40

jt11791

Seacocks don't close
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 03:16:27 AM »
I've discovered that some, not sure how many, of the seacocks on my 54 don't close completely.  They aren't frozen, I can move the handle a full 90 degrees, but even in the closed position, some water can pass through.  Of course, with the boat in the water it's hard to investigate.  Has anyone had there's apart?  Is it a big ball valve?  It's more than a trickle coming in, I need to do something so I can shut them off completely.

On Renegade they look like this:

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below