Author Topic: H46 Hatch Gaskets?  (Read 307 times)

Sailsteady

Re: H46 Hatch Gaskets?
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 09:46:15 PM »
Thanks for the fast replies everyone!  I've actually looked at Hatch Masters before for my previous boat, but since we had a similar shop in Annapolis I ended up using them instead.  I think for now I just want to replace the gaskets and stop a couple of small leaks.  Checking out MMI now!

Thanks again all.

Best,

Dan
s/v Nepenthe
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 09:54:07 PM by Sailsteady »

Ambition

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 08:42:17 PM »
I will echo Bob's comments about Select Plastics. I have all 5 of Ambitions hatches sent to them in 2016 and they did an awesome job of rebuilding them and replacing the glass. The price was less than quoted and the quality better than hoped for. Quick turnaround and executed as promised.

Merrill and Maryse
S/V Ambition H46 #40

bobknapp

• Quintessa
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 04:48:39 PM »
Try Select Plastics in Norwalk, CT.  Website is: selectplastics.com.  They will service most brands of hatches/portlights, and they stock gaskets and parts as well.  Their service is excellent and they have reasonable turn-around time.  If you send in a hatch for new gaskets or whatever, they will invariably recommend new lenses, which you will be delighted with in the long run.

bob knapp
s/v Quintessa (H49-46)

curtandkt

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 04:17:27 PM »
Howdy,

I've replaced all my gaskets in the hatches and portholes. I also re-bed the hatches and outer porthole covers/rings.  You can get the gasket material from MMI Marine out of LA http://www.mmimarine.com/mmi/. They have the recommended 3M adhesive too. But you can get the adhesive at many sources cheaper and no hazmat shipping. Pretty easy job and nice to have a dry boat in wet climates and/or heavy seas. I had a bit of trouble getting the gasket to adhere to the adhesive. I finally found if you clean the gasket material well, then finely sand it with 220 grit paper just prior to applying it, it adheres nicely. Took me a bit of experimenting to figure it out. I also cleaned out the hatch/porthole frames of the old adhesive. Good luck and happy sailing.

Curtis & Katie
S/V Aurora Hylas 46 #41

Sailsteady

H46 Hatch Gaskets?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 03:58:46 PM »
Hello everyone!

I'm sure this has been posted countless times before, but I didn't pull up anything on a search.  Does anyone have a good source/size for the hatch gaskets on the H46?  Both of my large hatches and one of the baby hatches in the forward head have slight leaks.  This is after I fixed the leaks in the handles with new rubber o-rings.

Thanks in advance!

Dan

s/v Nepenthe
1997 H46

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below