Author Topic: Best tensioner for removable staysail stay on a 44/46?  (Read 630 times)

joel

Re: Best tensioner for removable staysail stay on a 44/46?
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2019, 04:35:43 PM »
Thanks guys!  Yes, we will install running backs.  I haven't spent a lot of time discussing them with my rigger, but I am hoping to use heat set Dyneema instead of wire.  After some pushing and prodding, Selden gave him all the measuremants for the location of the backing plates for the forestay and backstays.

I found a Wichard babystay adjuster at Bacon Sails in Annapolis.  It is a turnbuckle type with two folding handles, so it won't be as quick as a lever.  However, the price was ridiculously low.  I also picked up a set of jib cars that are identical to the Garhauer cars I already have on the boat.

One the stay is up, I can start measuring/looking for the sail.

Joel
44#66
Atlantis

tbglynn

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2019, 10:16:05 PM »
Joel,

I agree with the folks from Ambition at least to the extent that as a heavy weather sail, sheeted in practically on center line with three reefs in the main, it lets you forereach in conditions where most folks would crawl in the head, lock the door and cry.  Are you going to rig running backstays.  You should to oppose the loads. 

And yes, you can bend that rig.  Once you induce prebend, you need to apply a good amount of tension on the windward running back when it blows more than 20 kts, but with a good amount of prebend the boat goes to weather a lot better and it flattens out the ride.

Tim

Ambition

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2019, 03:10:41 PM »
Joel,
Don't give up so quickly on your new staysail. I agree that it is a godsend when the wind is very strong - we have used ours in 50+ knots of wind with three reefs in the main to keep us moving plenty fast. I also find that in winds under 10/12 knots I will use all of our 135% genoa, full staysail and full main for beam reach or closer to the wind. You will be very surprised what kind of a boost you will get with your staysail.

Cheers
Merrill and Maryse
S/V Ambition H46 #40

joel

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 02:27:00 PM »
Tim

Thanks.  We bought a chain plate fromHylas designed for a 46.  It bolts into the bulkhead.  Iím surprised you can induce any bend into that tree trunk!  Im installing it primarily for the Newport Bermuda race in 2020 and for offshore cruising.  It wonít be much use on the Chesapeake.
Joel
44#66
Atlantis

tbglynn

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 02:20:25 PM »
On Egraine, hull#84, we have the Highfield Lever. The load is high and as we have it set up, even adds to the prebend on the mast. The key to this install is to transfer the load to a properly installed chain plate in the anchor locker.  Donít try to support it with just the deck.  Iíll take pictures when I next get to the boat.

The 44 is a stout boat and can be sailed in heavy weather without a staysíl, but a staysíl is a lovely thing to have. 

Tim Glynn

jt11791

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2019, 02:56:47 AM »
A "Highfield Lever" is commonly used for tensioning.  An alternative that is often used for babystays involves a section of track with a towed car.  the stay is attached to the car with the car all the way aft and then a purchase arrangement pulls the car forward to tension the stay.  You may remember this type of set up used for the babystay on my Baltic 38 "Tenacious". 

-Jeff Taylor

joel

Best tensioner for removable staysail stay on a 44/46?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 09:44:45 PM »
I'm trying to add a removable staysail stay to my 44.  What sort of tensioning devices do folks use?  What size wire is your stay?

Joel
44 # 66

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below