Author Topic: Rebuilding 4JH2-TE / H46 #28  (Read 2159 times)

jammin

Re: Rebuilding 4JH2-TE / H46 #28
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2019, 12:48:00 PM »
Don,

As to the turbo, I bought it from Naples Turbos in (of all places) Naples, FL. The turbos on the little Yanmars are made by IHI, so you can get them from turbo dealers. Mine was a little hard to find. The US distributor for IHI (located in the upper midwest somewhere), didn't have it in stock. Anywho, all you need is the IHI number off your turbo, then get on the internet/phone and find someone who's got one. Going thru an independent will save you $$ over Yanmar.

Scott

jammin

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2019, 11:55:23 AM »
Don,

I pulled and reinstalled my engine in a boat yard whilst the boat was on the hard. Like you, I had the head off the engine before I removed the block, so it wasn't too heavy. Also, I pulled it without the transmission, which lightened it further. Once everything was unbolted, we sort of brute forced it forward on to the cabin sole. I used a chainfall rigged to a 4x4 across the companion way to help with the extraction from the engine compartment. Once on the sole we pulled out thru the companion way with a crane (Cheating, I know).

Going back in was another matter. I had the engine completely assembled save the high amp alternator, so brute forcing it in wasn't an option. We lowered the engine thru the companion way on to the sole with a crane, so that bit was easy. To get the engine into the engine compartment, I made bridge blocks out of 4x6 inch pieces of wood. I shaped each block into a wedge. I notched them on the bottom so they would go over the "sill" at the front of the engine compartment and meet up with the engine beds. I rigged a chainfall to lift the engine on to two parallel 4x4s set up to meet the bridge pieces. Then I greased the 4x4s, the bridges and the engine bed. With the chainfall partially supporting the engines weight, I slid it partway into the engine compartment. When I removed the chainfall, I was able to slide the engine the rest of the way into place. It went surprisingly smoothly. I had to pry the engine around to get it to line up with the tyranny (it was still in the boat) and the bolt holes for the engine mounts.

There you have it.

Scott
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 12:51:14 PM by jammin »

SeaGlub

• Adventures of SeaGlub and the Hesitant Half
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2019, 04:38:00 AM »
For what it's worth in this discussion, we replaced our KBW transmission this year with a ZF Hurth, along with the motor mounts as they do age and this was what caused our KBW transmission to begin failing. Also serviced injectors this summer. With about 150 hours on everything now things are running great, much less vibration, and even about 15% better fuel consumption. Windswept, keep in touch. We've been in Mexico for two years now and will remain here for another 2-3 years. Look forward to crossing paths
C&M
SeaGlub H46 #22

Windswept

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2019, 03:54:47 AM »
Hello Jammin.... thanks for the input! Curious on how you got the engine out? Seems strange that the parts were not available (pistons) so as to bore 10 over. I was wondering.....could you have bored the cylinder...then sleved it? Just looking for options if I have to come across this situation. I'll know more....as my engine will be tore down next Monday.

My cylinders/block actually looks pretty good.... no ridge at all. Head/valves looked very good as well. As you can see I removed the head....so as to make the load a tad lighter for the removal.

Regarding your turbo.....did you get the new turbo from Yanmar? I have mine at the rebuild shop along with my injection pump and injectors. I'll know next week after the tear down... how we should proceed on that level. Fingers crossed!! ;)

Best
Don

jammin

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2018, 04:13:11 PM »
I did a complete rebuild of the 4JH3-HTE in my Stevens 47. New bearings, pistons, cylinder head, etc. The reason for the rebuild was that the engine had ingested water and sucked a valve. Like the OP, I didn't want to go with a new, electronic motor. The cylinder bores had rusty patches from the water ingestion, and I wanted to bore the cylinders out 0.010, but oversize pistons were not available, despite being listed in the parts r&r catalog. I honed the cylinders out as much as allowable, but that wasn't enough to completely remove the rust stains.

So far the engine runs fine, but I still worry about those rust patches. The engine does burn more oil than I would like, but I think that was due to a damaged housing/oil seal in the turbo. I've replaced the turbo, but haven't had a chance to run the engine enough to see if that fixed the oil consumption problem.

Good luck on your rebuild. Let me know if I can help in any way.

Windswept

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2018, 04:12:43 AM »
Joel....nice! I'm still deliberating, rebuild or just buy a new one. There was one on CL, came off a Catalina with a 3 cylinder...( tad smaller than ours). It had less than 500 hours and asking 1K. I see someone picked it up....and is now attempting to flip it for 1800?? Umm,mmm,mmmm.

Thanks!
Don

joel

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2018, 03:23:50 PM »
Don,

Found a used one and took my chances.  So far, so good!

Joel

Windswept

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2018, 02:51:16 PM »
Thumbs up Joel! Replacement? Did you use another KM4A, new, used? Sounds, if your turnaround was so quick, you found one on the shelf?

Best
Don

BTW: for me....it would have taken me 2 hours to move equiptement... (pumps ect) away from the area, just to get the tranny. Actaully I was heading in that direction but, on the KM4A, those bottom 2 bolts were next to impossible. ;(

joel

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2018, 11:49:38 AM »
Don
Nicely done!
We had no reverse and it was noisy. Main bearing and seal were shot.  I found a replacement unit.
In two hours we were back in business.

Good luck on the rebuild and install. Hopefully the worst is over.
Joel

Windswept

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2018, 04:15:44 AM »
Here is the last 4 images... ;)

PS. Hey Joel...what was the problem with your transmission? I ask as I am going to have mine rebuilt. I found out through my paper work and two owners ago...that my transmission was rebuilt in 2013. I'm going to go ahead and have it rebuilt again, just for good measure.

Ours plans are to use the 2019 Baja HaHa as a launch....meet like minded sailors for a Puddle and beyond. Were going to do it real slow....maybe back in 10 to 12 years! ;))

Best
Don & Gloria

Windswept

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2018, 04:10:18 AM »
Hello Joel.....thank you for your reply. I did take your suggestion regarding the 2x4 on top of the boom. Thank you! From there I looked at the situation a bit further and decided not to use a halyard to support the boom but build a simple A-frame under the boom. To me....this looks a tad bit stronger... worked like a charm. ;)

Well, looks like, so far, I'm the only one removing my engine, lucky me! Smile. Having said that, I'll add a vew images and explain what I did, Maybe someone else can use some of my thoughts.

Image 1.
Block set up with 3x6 over the companionway. I watched as I loaded this idea. I thought I may have to support (off the cabin sole) say a couple vertical 2x4 to support the cabin top....didn't need it. Area is strong! I also used primary sheet winch to hand off from sink hand block.

Image 2.
Using sink hole, (hand block & tackle) and trucker hitch off mast base, I was able to haul engine out of bay.

Image 3.
Land engine on cabin sole

Image 4.
Build makshift A frame to support boom.

Image 5 & 6
Pull engine using snub line off mast base to keep engine off companion way steps.

Image 7.
Land in cockpit

Image 8.
Use main sheet winch to pull enigne back.

joel

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2018, 05:47:46 PM »
The transmission on my 4jhte was easy to remove.  Remove about 6 bolts and slide it back a couple inches.  Did it with the engine in place.
If you are going to use the halyard, you might want to use a strap or a piece of lumber under the boom (and another on top of the boom for the come-along) to spread the load.

Windswept

Rebuilding 4JH2-TE / H46 #28
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 12:42:34 PM »
G'day Members....due to over 10K hours on our 4JH2 and an extended cruise in the near future, we have elected to rebuild our engine. Elected to not repower as the only way to do so....is go electronic ;( That's OK, this way, I know exactly whats in this motor.

Q. Removing engine. At the moment I have the engine stripped down in the bay so as to lighten up the load. Once I have the enigne out in the saloon, I'll remove the transmission. Has anyone used the boom (at point of vang & boom) as a position to attached a "Come along" for lifting the engine out into the cockpit? (I'm in a slip).

I was  thinking, maybe.... remove mainsail, use that halyard to also attache boom in the same vacinity as "Come Along" as added support.

Needless to say, sure could use some imput on anyone that has removed and re-installed their diesel engines Thank you!

Don & Gloria
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 02:16:20 AM by Windswept »

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below