Author Topic: Rebuilding 4JH2-TE / H46 #28  (Read 977 times)

Windswept

Re: Rebuilding 4JH2-TE / H46 #28
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2018, 04:12:43 AM »
Joel....nice! I'm still deliberating, rebuild or just buy a new one. There was one on CL, came off a Catalina with a 3 cylinder...( tad smaller than ours). It had less than 500 hours and asking 1K. I see someone picked it up....and is now attempting to flip it for 1800?? Umm,mmm,mmmm.

Thanks!
Don

joel

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2018, 03:23:50 PM »
Don,

Found a used one and took my chances.  So far, so good!

Joel

Windswept

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2018, 02:51:16 PM »
Thumbs up Joel! Replacement? Did you use another KM4A, new, used? Sounds, if your turnaround was so quick, you found one on the shelf?

Best
Don

BTW: for me....it would have taken me 2 hours to move equiptement... (pumps ect) away from the area, just to get the tranny. Actaully I was heading in that direction but, on the KM4A, those bottom 2 bolts were next to impossible. ;(

joel

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2018, 11:49:38 AM »
Don
Nicely done!
We had no reverse and it was noisy. Main bearing and seal were shot.  I found a replacement unit.
In two hours we were back in business.

Good luck on the rebuild and install. Hopefully the worst is over.
Joel

Windswept

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2018, 04:15:44 AM »
Here is the last 4 images... ;)

PS. Hey Joel...what was the problem with your transmission? I ask as I am going to have mine rebuilt. I found out through my paper work and two owners ago...that my transmission was rebuilt in 2013. I'm going to go ahead and have it rebuilt again, just for good measure.

Ours plans are to use the 2019 Baja HaHa as a launch....meet like minded sailors for a Puddle and beyond. Were going to do it real slow....maybe back in 10 to 12 years! ;))

Best
Don & Gloria

Windswept

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2018, 04:10:18 AM »
Hello Joel.....thank you for your reply. I did take your suggestion regarding the 2x4 on top of the boom. Thank you! From there I looked at the situation a bit further and decided not to use a halyard to support the boom but build a simple A-frame under the boom. To me....this looks a tad bit stronger... worked like a charm. ;)

Well, looks like, so far, I'm the only one removing my engine, lucky me! Smile. Having said that, I'll add a vew images and explain what I did, Maybe someone else can use some of my thoughts.

Image 1.
Block set up with 3x6 over the companionway. I watched as I loaded this idea. I thought I may have to support (off the cabin sole) say a couple vertical 2x4 to support the cabin top....didn't need it. Area is strong! I also used primary sheet winch to hand off from sink hand block.

Image 2.
Using sink hole, (hand block & tackle) and trucker hitch off mast base, I was able to haul engine out of bay.

Image 3.
Land engine on cabin sole

Image 4.
Build makshift A frame to support boom.

Image 5 & 6
Pull engine using snub line off mast base to keep engine off companion way steps.

Image 7.
Land in cockpit

Image 8.
Use main sheet winch to pull enigne back.

joel

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2018, 05:47:46 PM »
The transmission on my 4jhte was easy to remove.  Remove about 6 bolts and slide it back a couple inches.  Did it with the engine in place.
If you are going to use the halyard, you might want to use a strap or a piece of lumber under the boom (and another on top of the boom for the come-along) to spread the load.

Windswept

Rebuilding 4JH2-TE / H46 #28
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 12:42:34 PM »
G'day Members....due to over 10K hours on our 4JH2 and an extended cruise in the near future, we have elected to rebuild our engine. Elected to not repower as the only way to do so....is go electronic ;( That's OK, this way, I know exactly whats in this motor.

Q. Removing engine. At the moment I have the engine stripped down in the bay so as to lighten up the load. Once I have the enigne out in the saloon, I'll remove the transmission. Has anyone used the boom (at point of vang & boom) as a position to attached a "Come along" for lifting the engine out into the cockpit? (I'm in a slip).

I was  thinking, maybe.... remove mainsail, use that halyard to also attache boom in the same vacinity as "Come Along" as added support.

Needless to say, sure could use some imput on anyone that has removed and re-installed their diesel engines Thank you!

Don & Gloria
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 02:16:20 AM by Windswept »

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below