Author Topic: Rebuilding 4JH2-TE / H46 #28  (Read 1502 times)

brian black

Re: Rebuilding 4JH2-TE / H46 #28
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2019, 10:19:44 PM »
Well, further to this.  We're in the yard, in Hawaii, and I've got a ZF coming from Elias that should arrive Monday.  I'm optimistic that the install can go pretty quickly.  The old trans, a KBW20, is out, and listed on e-bay with a recommendation to rebuild it before installing.  It should be useful to someone out there.  Thanks all for good info and guidance

SeaGlub

• Adventures of SeaGlub and the Hesitant Half
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2019, 05:04:14 AM »
Well I was right about at least one thing, Elias knows what he's talking about. Good luck with the tranny and maybe we'll see you in San Diego this summer. We're driving back from Mexico and I'll be taking my captains course in August. Email me at seaglub at gmail.com
C&M
SeaGlub H46 #22

Windswept

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2019, 02:38:33 AM »
Actually not.... Chris, spoke to Elias today (nice guy) He informed me my KM4A has a 7degree down angel which I was aware of. What I was not aware of....is your KBW 20 or 21 is a straight line transmisson which the ZF30 is a direct replacement. Hurth does not make a transmission replacement for my KM4A ;(. Elias did say, he can rebuild my KM4A in house. Looks like I will be traveling to SD in the near future. Thanks Chris!

SeaGlub

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2019, 10:01:58 PM »
The KM4A is very similar to my former KBW20.  I believe those two and the ZF30 are interchangeable on the 4JH2TE
C&M
SeaGlub H46 #22

Windswept

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2019, 03:00:52 AM »
Chris....great info regarding the ZF transmission. My transmisson is KM4A....is this the same transmission as your old transmission? I did find out....my KM4A was rebuilt 2013 in Florida. Best I can make out....it has approx. 1000 hours on it. My thinking is....to reinstall it. I've looked around and can not find anyone to rebuild it....except through List Marine...whom wants an arm and a legg as you might imagine ;(

Brian...how ya doing? Last time I spoke with you....you were queing up for the Puddle jump via Panama. Hope your crossing was a great one. Are you having issues with your tranny? Needless to say, trying to figure out what do here with ours. Maybe some will chime in..... i.e. on how many hours they have on their transmission, issues ect.

On that note.....engine 4JH2-TE was just pulled apart by builder. Bearings....alll look like they are brand new. Some wear on the bearing on the camshaft.....camshaft will be going back in. He want to bore .10 over to make the cylinders perfect. I have just found out.....Yanmar only has .25 over pistions available...(one size) ummmmmm. I'll have to take this info to my builder and see what he wants to do.

Thanks everyone!
Don

brian black

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2019, 07:49:39 PM »
Thanks SeaGlub.  I've been trying to run down this info for 6 months. 

SeaGlub

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2019, 06:42:22 PM »
Transmission was sourced through

PacWest Marine - Elias
2390 Shelter Island Dr # 110
San Diego, CA 92106, USA
619-222-0475

Elias is and has been a terrific source for all things Yanmar.  We were in La Paz when another 4jh2te had a kbw transmission fail and after two months of trying to find a new one or parts to repair it they gave up and found the ZF. Ours never failed but was showing signs of issues (splines on output shaft we're stripping due to misalignment due to cracked engine mount)
The install was not that difficult, but the ZF does come with a raw water color unit for the tranny fluid so we followed directions and sourced raw water after the stainer but before the impeller for the engine.
C&M
SeaGlub H46 #22

brian black

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2019, 01:13:52 AM »
That's why we changed transmission types, we had the KBW20 with 2.17 ratio and it's now no longer available and parts for a rebuild nearly impossible if exactly impossible to find. We installed the Hurth ZF30 with 2.15 ratio in September and have about 100 hours on it now without a problem. Was a fairly smooth install but had to lift the engine off the mounts because the bulkead that the shaft runs through, the same bulk head that's there to provide support for the genset, was too close to just install the tranny without moving the en
gine 1-2". However, this gave us a good opportunity to replace the 20 year old motor mounts, one of which we found had cracked.

Thanks SeaGlub, very useful.  Where did you source the ZF30?

SeaGlub

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2019, 02:29:17 PM »
 That's why we changed transmission types, we had the KBW20 with 2.17 ratio and it's now no longer available and parts for a rebuild nearly impossible if exactly impossible to find. We installed the Hurth ZF30 with 2.15 ratio in September and have about 100 hours on it now without a problem. Was a fairly smooth install but had to lift the engine off the mounts because the bulkead that the shaft runs through, the same bulk head that's there to provide support for the genset, was too close to just install the tranny without moving the engine 1-2". However, this gave us a good opportunity to replace the 20 year old motor mounts, one of which we found had cracked.
C&M
SeaGlub H46 #22

brian black

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2019, 05:41:46 PM »
For what it's worth in this discussion, we replaced our KBW transmission this year with a ZF Hurth, along with the motor mounts as they do age and this was what caused our KBW transmission to begin failing. /quote]

Hi SeGlub.  What ZF Hurth did you use for a replacement?  I think I may need to replace our KBW eventually, and they're no longer available

Windswept

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2019, 10:34:56 AM »
Scott sorry for the belated reply, just got back in town. Seems the 44 and 46 have two different engine bed elevations, interesting... Even though the 46 engine bed is lower (it seems) I did not have enough heigth above the engine (sink box) to get the enign out due, no room above the engine. My head had to diffinately come off so as to get the engine out. Sure wish it could go back in....assembled ;(.

Interesting regarding the turbo. I have mine at the shop now, as well as the injection pump and injectors. I will know soon of their condition. I did today.... order the whole heat exchanger. The complete unite is like 1200. The tubes are 900....so went ahead and bought the whole thing. Before I left town.... my engine progress pics are below. ;)

Seaglub...  curious, why the transmission different make? Yep, and also look forward to crossing paths. Before our Puddlejump, we also plan to be in Mexico for a year. We will eventually make Equador, Galapagos, ~~~~> West ;) Hope your having fun...which I'm sure you are. btw: Next week, I'll get another proposal for the arch, which will be modified for the stern seats! Thanks! ;)

Don

jammin

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2019, 12:48:00 PM »
Don,

As to the turbo, I bought it from Naples Turbos in (of all places) Naples, FL. The turbos on the little Yanmars are made by IHI, so you can get them from turbo dealers. Mine was a little hard to find. The US distributor for IHI (located in the upper midwest somewhere), didn't have it in stock. Anywho, all you need is the IHI number off your turbo, then get on the internet/phone and find someone who's got one. Going thru an independent will save you $$ over Yanmar.

Scott

jammin

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2019, 11:55:23 AM »
Don,

I pulled and reinstalled my engine in a boat yard whilst the boat was on the hard. Like you, I had the head off the engine before I removed the block, so it wasn't too heavy. Also, I pulled it without the transmission, which lightened it further. Once everything was unbolted, we sort of brute forced it forward on to the cabin sole. I used a chainfall rigged to a 4x4 across the companion way to help with the extraction from the engine compartment. Once on the sole we pulled out thru the companion way with a crane (Cheating, I know).

Going back in was another matter. I had the engine completely assembled save the high amp alternator, so brute forcing it in wasn't an option. We lowered the engine thru the companion way on to the sole with a crane, so that bit was easy. To get the engine into the engine compartment, I made bridge blocks out of 4x6 inch pieces of wood. I shaped each block into a wedge. I notched them on the bottom so they would go over the "sill" at the front of the engine compartment and meet up with the engine beds. I rigged a chainfall to lift the engine on to two parallel 4x4s set up to meet the bridge pieces. Then I greased the 4x4s, the bridges and the engine bed. With the chainfall partially supporting the engines weight, I slid it partway into the engine compartment. When I removed the chainfall, I was able to slide the engine the rest of the way into place. It went surprisingly smoothly. I had to pry the engine around to get it to line up with the tyranny (it was still in the boat) and the bolt holes for the engine mounts.

There you have it.

Scott
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 12:51:14 PM by jammin »

SeaGlub

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2019, 04:38:00 AM »
For what it's worth in this discussion, we replaced our KBW transmission this year with a ZF Hurth, along with the motor mounts as they do age and this was what caused our KBW transmission to begin failing. Also serviced injectors this summer. With about 150 hours on everything now things are running great, much less vibration, and even about 15% better fuel consumption. Windswept, keep in touch. We've been in Mexico for two years now and will remain here for another 2-3 years. Look forward to crossing paths
C&M
SeaGlub H46 #22

Windswept

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2019, 03:54:47 AM »
Hello Jammin.... thanks for the input! Curious on how you got the engine out? Seems strange that the parts were not available (pistons) so as to bore 10 over. I was wondering.....could you have bored the cylinder...then sleved it? Just looking for options if I have to come across this situation. I'll know more....as my engine will be tore down next Monday.

My cylinders/block actually looks pretty good.... no ridge at all. Head/valves looked very good as well. As you can see I removed the head....so as to make the load a tad lighter for the removal.

Regarding your turbo.....did you get the new turbo from Yanmar? I have mine at the rebuild shop along with my injection pump and injectors. I'll know next week after the tear down... how we should proceed on that level. Fingers crossed!! ;)

Best
Don

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below