Author Topic: Looking for a Hylas 54 Deck Salon with a centerboard  (Read 343 times)

Tribute

Re: Looking for a Hylas 54 Deck Salon with a centerboard
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 12:45:59 PM »
I had some great input from Mark and another owner who have centerboard 54's that are Raised Salons but we are looking for a deck salon 54 with centerboard. If any of those owners are on this site, please reach out. We are looking to purchase a boat in 2020 but could move sooner if the right boat comes along.

Thanks,

Barry
Tributesails@yahoo.com

tulsag

• Hylas 54 #33 TARA
Re: Looking for a Hylas 54 Deck Salon with a centerboard
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2018, 05:38:46 PM »
Barry:

My name is Mark Powell and my wife and I own TARA a centerboard 2004 Hylas 54 (we are the second owners of hull #33)  I’m not sure why TARA is not on your list of centerboard 54’s but she definitely is one and is a deck salon as well.  I am 6’3” and I can walk throughout her without ducking anywhere.   TARA is currently birthed in Ragussa, Sicily.  She has been in the Med since 2015 and we are planning to bring TARA back to the Caribbean next November and then take her up to Annapolis in 2020 to put her up for sale because we have moved to Phoenix, AZ and plan to get a smaller coastal cruiser for San Diego.

TARA is a special Hylas 54 in that she is designed to work seamlessly at the flip of a switch in either 110v or 220v environments. Just as importantly, her design solves the damaging 50hz/60hz problem by converting AC appliances to inverter mode while hooked up to 50hz shore power.  A transformer alone does not solve this problem. She is the only Hylas that I have ever seen that has that functionality.  That has been an amazing advantage in the Med and in several Caribbean islands.  All we have to do is change the plug-in adapter and flip a switch and we are operating as though we were in a US marina. Most boats waste fuel and generator operating hours to use non-inverted appliances such as the washer/dryer and water heater. TARA is cutter rigged and has all the standard 54 options plus washer/dryer, ice maker, trash compactor (my wife will say this is the single greatest asset on the boat), and central vacuum, water maker, and Iridium satellite dome.  Last year we added 6 flexible solar panels that are sown into the bimini and practically impossible to see.  We went from charging batteries every day, to charging every two to three days.  TARA has an AWL-grip jet black hull with red boot stripes.  When we were looking for our ‘gone sailing’ boat we wanted a navy blue hull and crisscrossed the country looking at Hylas 49’s and 54’s. There was a black hulled Hylas 54 for sale in Tampa that we avoided seeing because we wanted navy blue. Then my wife went to Newport to look at a navy blue 49’ that was for sale and when she walked up to the boat there was an identical Hylas 49 in BLACK sitting in the slip next to it.  She was floored by how gorgeous the BLACK was in comparison.  We flew to TAMPA the next week and bought TARA (she was originally name SECOND WIND by her original owner). Barely a day goes by when someone fails to make a comment about how beautiful TARA is. 

You are smart to desire a centerboard version. When we lower the board, you can literally watch TARA point higher on the chartplotter.  We sailed TARA throughout the shallow Bahamas and had no problems while deeper keeled vessels either couldn’t go to some spots or had to anchor much further off the beach.

I know we are a couple of years out in our plans for putting TARA up for sale but good luck in your search and if I can be of any help you can call me at 918-671-0404 and I will be happy to help you out in any way I can. 

Mark Powell

Mark Powell
TARA (Hull #33)
Mark Powell
Hylas 54  hull#33  TARA

Tribute

Looking for a Hylas 54 Deck Salon with a centerboard
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 12:19:44 PM »
My wife and I are searching for the "gone cruising" boat and we are very interested in a 54 with deck salon and centerboard. Andy Huang tells me there were 4 made that fit that profile (hull 13, 14, 28 and 53). If any of those owners are in this forum, I'd love to connect and discuss the boat and your long term plans.

Cheers,

Barry
tributesails@yahoo.com

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below