Open Discussion > Hylas Discussion

Companionway security

(1/3) > >>

Hobiehobie:
Somewhat related, on the topic of companionway doors/washboards our H54 #50 has a pair of removable louvered doors with insect screens on the inside.  Very nice for ventilation, awful chore for revarnishing, but also it has struck us as unsafe as if we were pooped by a large wave at sea most of the water would go through the doors down below before it drained out the cockpit scuppers. 

We had Hylas make us a copy of the doors with solid plexiglass panels so now at sea in heavy weather we use those...and when we want to seal up the boat for storage. 

Cassiopee:
Dan,

The string is getting a bit old but if you are still interested, I can send you a photo of how our external lock works. We also stow the board underneath the Nav Station and never had an issue. We had a two piece washboard just made so itís easier to manage while underway.

J-F
SV Cassiopee W
H46-62
Svcassiopee@gmail.com

gusto:
Thanks for the picture jt.  Was wondering- having same issue.
Gary H44 s/v Gusto

jt11791:
Our H54 has a simple barrel bolt on the inside.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/FmMQDzjrgmB1X2U29

brian black:
our 1996 H46 has the hole through the slider frame, a padlock keeps it from rolling forward, unless the rollers are worn or loose.  From inside I fabricated some turn handles that latch it, when we're asleep at night.  We also have a stainless steel frame that fits in the companionway opening, and gives more ventilation.  we put bug screen over that.  Also have security bars and bug screens on the large overhead hatches.  I'd attach photos, but don't quite see how to do  it  here. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version