Author Topic: Companionway security  (Read 405 times)

Cassiopee

Re: Companionway security
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2018, 09:13:48 PM »
Dan,

The string is getting a bit old but if you are still interested, I can send you a photo of how our external lock works. We also stow the board underneath the Nav Station and never had an issue. We had a two piece washboard just made so itís easier to manage while underway.

J-F
SV Cassiopee W
H46-62
Svcassiopee@gmail.com

gusto

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2018, 04:08:53 PM »
Thanks for the picture jt.  Was wondering- having same issue.
Gary H44 s/v Gusto

jt11791

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2018, 01:29:49 AM »
Our H54 has a simple barrel bolt on the inside.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/FmMQDzjrgmB1X2U29

brian black

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2018, 12:30:14 AM »
our 1996 H46 has the hole through the slider frame, a padlock keeps it from rolling forward, unless the rollers are worn or loose.  From inside I fabricated some turn handles that latch it, when we're asleep at night.  We also have a stainless steel frame that fits in the companionway opening, and gives more ventilation.  we put bug screen over that.  Also have security bars and bug screens on the large overhead hatches.  I'd attach photos, but don't quite see how to do  it  here. 

Sailsteady

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2018, 10:41:57 PM »
If anyone has photos of their companionway security I would love to see them.  Ultimately I'm going to have to fabricate something and I'm sure there are already some good solutions out there!

Thanks much!

Dan
s/v Nepenthe

Ripple

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2018, 01:35:55 AM »
On our previous boat we had to lock the companionway hatch from the outside then shimmy down a deck hatch to enter the boat. Thankfully, our Hylas has a pretty heavy duty metal channel fastened to the underside of the lexan slider that holds a lever that moves deadbolts into each side of the fixed companionway.
Jim
h46-53

joel

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2018, 10:30:23 PM »
How do people lock the slider when in the cabin? 

Windswept

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2018, 03:46:01 PM »
Interesting regarding the cribboard which was always are dilemma as well. :( Unfortunately, Windswept has a stand up nav station....and no bracket in sight. Having said that....sounds like a great idea for sit down nav. configuration. For us, we position it, (sort of wedged) between the companion way hatch hand rail (port) and the coming. It rides there quite well on mild days. Needless to say, it is placed in correct position when any other than moderate conditions.

Dan, yep....certainly can relate to your buying and take ownership with out the previous owner. Same here. Having said that....he will answer the phone. ;) Still difficult though as you might imagine.

Best
Don & Gloria
Windswept 28

Ripple

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2018, 01:45:42 AM »
Dan, glad you found the storage bracket for the hatch. Sadly though, we won't be on our boat until January, so I can't help with a picture. JR

Sailsteady

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 02:06:48 PM »
JR, that is extremely helpful, thank you!  This is what happens when the previous owners do not want to be part of the buying process.  I'm having to learn everything on my own.

I saw that teak bracket at the base of the nav station and had no idea why it was there.  Now I do.  Thank you!

I would love to see a photo of your companionway security solution if/when you get one.  I will have to fabricate something and no need to reinvent the wheel so-to-speak.

Thanks again for the feedback, greatly appreciated!

Dan

Ripple

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 01:50:52 PM »
Dan, on our 46-53, a hasp arm is bolted to the stb cockpit coaming and the locking eye, that accepts a padlock, to the sliding hatch. Our boat is the shower pass through design. A bracket under the nav table retains the hatch board when not in use. JR

Sailsteady

Companionway security
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 08:28:01 AM »
As a new H46 owner I continue to fumble my way through the learning process to understand all the little nuances around the boat.  Two things I am working through now are companionway security and hatch board storage. 

My companionway sliding hatch has a hole clearly designed to accept a lock.  Unfortunately there is no corresponding hasp or other device in the board to secure it to, which means the hatch just slides open with the lock in place.  Can anyone share what their setup looks like on the H46 models?

Lastly, is there a creative spot to store the hatch board while sailing in calm waters or at dock?  Surely someone has found a great spot for it!

Thanks in advance!

Dan
S/v Napenthe
1997 H46

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below