Author Topic: ALT IGN Stbd Breaker?  (Read 221 times)

Knoxan

Re: ALT IGN Stbd Breaker?
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2018, 12:52:03 PM »
Hi
The relay was just a standard automove type with 12vdc coil with a single pole normally open contact. It is the same as the one which operates the stop lever on your engine. Most chandlers sell them as does ebay. I installed the relay behind the switches under the navigators seat where all the relevant wiring connections can be found.

I haven't traced the wiring completely but I believe it goes from the "engine control switch" under the navigators seat out to the "Engine Control switch" in the cockpit travelling above the locker in the aft head and then back to the alternator. A long way round.

I am also  in the process of redrawing the original wiring diagrams to correct many an error and incorporate many changes I have made.

Andy
H46#32 True Brew

Nirvana

• Nirvana - H46 #13
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2018, 12:56:10 PM »
Thank you Andy, that was our original thinking but it just didnít dawn on us to perform the test in both states.  Like your idea on the relay, iím Absolutely going to do that.  What relay did you use?

Iím now curious about the wire routing though.  I wonder if it passes into/through the engine control toggle in the cockpit?  I know it goes aft via the cable tray.  No mistake on that as I tested the rout with my fluke, just didnít make it to the end of the wire to find itís termination point.
Ken Sabatini
Nirvana - Ď97 Hylas 46 #13

Knoxan

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2018, 07:56:11 AM »
The Alt Ign Switch probably supplies startup energising current to the stardboard alternator. Exactly how it is connected depends greatly on the alternator model and any external voltage controller used. Some alternators cannot self energise at startup and require an external voltage supply during starting. Once running they no longer require the external supply.
 In this case switching the Alt Ign Switch to OFF while the engine is running will not result in any change to output. Try switching it to OFF before you start the engine and note if there is any charging current. Then switch it to ON and note the difference.
This is how mine works.
On the downside in my setup if the Alt Ign Switch is left ON after the engine stops the alternator continues to receive energising current of about 2A. To avoid this I installed a relay which applies and removes the energising voltage by sensing if the engine is running by monitoring the port alternator output.

Andy
H46#32 True Brew

Nirvana

• Nirvana - H46 #13
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 02:29:45 PM »
Hi Greg and thank you for your response.

I do have all the drawings for this boat and recently went through the electrical drawings matching them against the system with excruciating detail because we recently replaced all the batteries and found a BlueSea switch not on the drawings.  The switch is in the forward head and installed to tie House Battery 2 to the Windlass if necessary.

Anyway, the breaker in question is not on the drawing.  (I will upload a copy of the Electrical drawing as soon as I get it scanned <Staples here I come... :) >.

In the interim, I've attached a photo of said breaker.

When exercising this breaker while running the engine there is no change in Alt Amps (via guage on the panel) nor any indication of load change on the engine. 

I've traced the wire (brown) from this breaker into the harnes to the engine compartment and then it passes out of the engine compartment into a cable tray that runs aft through a cable tray below the water heater.  The cable tray disappears there as it does not continue into the aft cabin or under the floor aft as far as I can see.  I believe it turns 'up' and ultimately into the overhead thus the cockpit.  It will require removal of the cieling in the aft head to continue this theary but I need to do that anyway as I'm running new coax for the SSB next spring.
Ken Sabatini

Finally

• s/v Finally H49-057
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 08:41:43 PM »
I heard this one from a recent conversation on our Hylas 49 - think this it the breaker that provides power to your voltage regulator, in our case with the stock Yanmar 80A and a 160A Balmar, it controls the Balmar MC612 regulator, you can try cycling it on and off to see if that is the case on your H46.

If you have drawings of your 12 volt charging system you should see it on those drawings as well.

Good Luck....
Greg & Missy
s/v Finally
H49-057

Nirvana

• Nirvana - H46 #13
ALT IGN Stbd Breaker?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 01:21:59 PM »
Hi all, on our Ď46 we have under the Nav. seat three breakers (among others) which are for alternators.  At least it appears they are.  I know the port and starboard breakers directly address their relative alternators. 
However the third is a mystery to us and am hoping someone can clear up its function?
It is labeled ďALT IGN STBDĒ
It does not change load on the engine when turned on nor does it appear to effect charging current.
Iím in the middle of changing out the batteries and tracing cabling so will be empirically trying to trace it as well but itís still a mystery.

Thanks in advance.
Ken
Ken Sabatini

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below