Author Topic: KISS-SSB  (Read 543 times)

Dealatis

Re: KISS-SSB
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2018, 02:39:24 AM »
Finally,
Attached are the Drawings of 3 in and 1 in copper foil locations in H49 provided by QL. 
I noticed in the aft head under the sink, green bonding wires are attached to the 3 in foil.  So the SSB foil is also part of the bonding system I guess?
Jack Kennedy
DeaLatis

Finally

• s/v Finally H49-057
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2018, 08:53:51 PM »
Jack - could you include or post the drawings of the copper foils for the H49, just wanted to have as a reference for our boat.

Thanks!!
Greg & Missy
s/v Finally
H49-057

Dealatis

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2018, 04:18:17 PM »
Joel,

That address was good, I left the “s” off yacht on the QLmarine@hylasyachtS.com on my original email to QL🙃
Engineer Vincent Lin at QL confirmed the existence of two different sized copper foils running throughout the H49.   He also confirmed the 3 in copper foil for the SSB DOES NOT run through the engine room  and that the 1in foil for bonding system does run along the engine room bulkhead on the H49.  The 1 in foil in the engine room is what is degraded and corroded almost to the point of failure on my boat.  I have simple diagrams Eng. Lin sent me showing the rough location of the 3 in and 1 in copper foil runs  throughout the boat.

Thanks  folks!  Jack

Thx again folks
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 04:23:09 PM by Dealatis »

joel

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2018, 06:13:57 PM »
That’s the address I used recently. Try candy@hylasyachts.com.tw. She helped me recently.

Dealatis

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2018, 04:35:23 PM »
Folks,

Does anyone have a good Queen Long email for Jane or any other technical POC there?
I tried the following:

qlmarine@hylasyachts.com.tw

Returned mail delivery error?

Thanks Jack

Dealatis

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2018, 04:05:02 PM »
Hey Thanks so much for the replies!

I have found out some more info.  I talked to Dave Powers (who has commissioned many Hylas Yachts over the years on the west coast, he knows the boats) about the issue.  We discussed the KISS-SSB and it installation on a H49.  He thinks the copper filled tubing should be located under the waterline.  Since our ICOM tuner is located in the Port Aft Lazerette, he suggested drilling a hole into the aft cabin and running the copper filled tubing under the aft cabin berth.

My whole concern about the HF Counter-Poise is not actually based on degraded transmission (I have yet to transmit word one on our ICOM 710), but purely on the assumption that it would be degraded because of the observed severely degraded copper foil in the engine room.  Dave enlightened me that there are actually two different sized copper foils running throughout the boat.  A 3 in. wide foil (imbedded in the Fiberglass) that is part of the HF counter-poise (ground?) system and a 1 1/2 in. foil associated with the bonding system (all the green wires attached to through-hulls and strainers are attached to this 1 1/2 in. foil).  It is the 1 1/2 in. copper foil that I have been able to access in the engine room that is severely corroded.

I have been told there are many opinions on bonding systems, a break in the system may not be a bad thing (a stray external current may be transmitted throughout the body via the interconnected bonding system, a break would prevent that).  I WILL repair what 1 1/2 in copper foil, I can access, but I feel that the integrity of the bonding system and its effects on the boat are mitigated by the well placed and abundant sacrificial anodes on the H49.

I wasn't aware (haven't noticed is more accurate) that the 3 in.  foil also passes through the (bilge/engine room) in the H49.  Where I have seen it (under the forward V berth) it appears partially imbedded in the fiberglass (implying it was done during manufacture) and in good condition.

I am going to write QL to see if they can provide me 1 1/2 in. copper foil (bonding system) and if they have any schematics showing where the where the two foils (3 in. and 1 1/2 in.) run in the boat (of particular interest is if the 3 in. foil runs in the bilge/engine room).  I also need to find out how and to whom I can get a decent HF radio check in SoCal.  The Baja Ha Ha gets underway this fall, maybe I will try their HF net. 

If anyone has any amplifying info on:

1)  KISS-SSB install, specifically where to run the 10 foot tubing. 
2)  Is the 3 in. copper foil (associated with the HF counter poise) routed in the engine room Y/N
3)  Does the 1 1/2 in copper foil, severely corroded in the engine room need to be repaired

I would appreciate it.

Thank you!!

Jack Kennedy (HF idiot)
Dealatis H49-035

Ambition

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 09:48:22 AM »
Jack,
Ambition had the exact same set-up as you do and the copper strip was 100% corroded away in many spots. I took the opportunity while the  boat was out of the water to have the ground plate removed and the 4 holes patched over. Anytime I can reduce the number of holes in through the bottom of te boat I am very happy! We installed the KISS-SSB and ran it through the swim platform up underneath. It has worked well for 3 years.

Good luck with your upgrade
Merrill and Maryse
S/V Ambition H46 #40

Agua Dulce

• Agua Dulce is in the southern Caribbean
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 04:38:22 AM »
We had exactly the same issue and, after the copper dissolved, etc., went with KISS, and it worked great on several passages, including across the Atlantic.   The copper (much of which was in the bilge) was a nightmare.

Charles Cunningham
"Agua Dulce"
Hylas 54 #30
Charles and Gretchen Cunningham
S/V Agua Dulce
Hylas 54 #30

Dealatis

KISS-SSB
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 03:43:43 PM »
Morning folks!,

I have a Hylas 49 with an ICOM 710 Marine SSB installed.  The original counterpoise consisted of copper foil fastened to the inside hull throughout the boat and then back to a exterior plate mounted on the hull under the waterline.  The copper foil is severely corroded in the section that passes through in the engine/bilge area.  On the advice of a marine electrician, I am considering purchasing the KISS-SSB counterpoise (http://www.kiss-ssb.com) rather than repair/replace the corroded copper foil.  The KISS-SSB is connected directly to the HF tuner (mine is located in the Port Aft Lazarette) and consist of a 4 foot lead and 10 feet of PVC tubing filled with copper that can be coiled in the lazarette or stretched out to full length (preferred) and attached with zip ties.  The copper filled tube has many feet of copper cut to varying lengths to accommodate the different HF frequencies.  It seems like a better solution than repairing the copper foil which, in many areas of the boat, is not easily accessed for inspection/repair.  Has anyone tried this product and if so what do you think?

Jack Kennedy
DeaLatis
Hylas 49-035
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 03:50:44 PM by Dealatis »

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below