Author Topic: Line sizing  (Read 516 times)

bjhsail

• 2000 Hylas 46 "Helios"
Re: Line sizing
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2018, 01:17:46 PM »
Hi Dan - congrats on your H46 purchase. We have SV Helios, a 2000 H46, hull #27. I recently replaced the genoa sheets and went with 1/2" line, about 75' long each side. The 1/2" tends to grab better in the self-tailers on the winches - I found that the 9/16" sheets that were on the boat when we bought it 4 years ago tended to slip out of the self-tailers until loaded up unless you really yanked them to start, particularly as the lines aged.
Brad

Sailsteady

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2018, 05:45:56 PM »
Norm, greatly appreciate the feedback.  I was a little torn on what size genoa sheets to go with, and after reviewing the Lewmar site, it appears the Lewmar 56 ST winches have a pretty wide variance of line sizes between 8 and 16mm.  In the end, I decided to give 1/2" sheets a go and I'll see how those work out.  Will likely go with 1/2" on the mainsheet and halyards as well.  I think the traveler lines are 3/8" and for now the outhaul for the furling mainsail is still in good shape so I'll leave that one be.

Bacon sales does indeed have all kinds of neat stuff, especially if you are willing to look around a bit.  I have a guy on Ebay of all places (ropeydopey) that I've used exclusively on my last two boats and he does a phenomenal job on all his lines.  He's an ex Coast Guardsman and both his whipping and eyes are simply fantastic.  Overall his prices cannot be beat.

Thanks again for the feedback!

Cheers,

Dan
S/v Nepenthe

Sailsteady

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2018, 05:24:22 PM »
Thanks Merrill, that's a very good point and certainly one I will consider when determining my halyard lengths!  So far I've only ordered new genoa sheets, so I'll look at various halyard options after I have more time on the boat.

Cheers!

Dan

S/v Nepenthe

Norm

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2018, 04:17:17 PM »
Congratulatons! I replaced the halyards on my 44 with 1/2" VPC by New England Ropes about 4 years ago, and they have stood up well with little stretch. My genoa sheets are 9/16" Regatta Braid, also by NE. I like it because it doesn't hockle or kink so doesn't jam in blocks, has a nice soft feel, and grips winch drums firmly. It is not low-stretch, but on a cruising boat a little stretch in the sheets is not a bad thing since it absorbs shock loads a bit.
BTW, since you are near Annapolis, Bacon Sails has a good selection of all these with very good pricing.
Norm
H44-29 Blue Moon

Ambition

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 09:45:16 AM »
Dan,
Congrats on joining the ranks of Hylas 46 owners. I hope Nepenthe brings you as much pleasure as ours does us.
One suggestion for you as you swap out halyards, is that you ensure that you have at least a couple that are usually free (ie spinnaker or spare genoa) that are sufficiently long as to reach the water line easily while the other end is able to reach the cockpit winch. If anyone were to go overboard and you need to retrieve them from the sides, you don't have to mess with finding an extension to hoist them aboard. 
Cheers and welcome to Hylas 46!
Merrill and Maryse
S/V Ambition H46 #40

Sailsteady

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2018, 11:38:19 PM »
Thanks Joel, that's a great start.  I'm probably looking at mostly 1/2" although I think the current genoa sheets may be 9/16.  This boat was actually being docked at a private residence on the South River but I'm moving it over to the West River for a few months before heading south.

Appreciate the reply!

Dan
s/v Nepenthe

joel

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2018, 04:43:54 PM »
Dan
Congrats!  Iíve got a 44 on South River.

For halyards I went with 3/8 Endura. 130 feet.  I donít have self tailers for halyards so the was not an issue. Stretch is more important for halyards than sheets. For sheets Iíd probably go 1/2 Sta-set or equivalent depending on the self tailers.
Hope to see you on the Bay.

Joel
Atlantis
44 # 66

Sailsteady

Line sizing
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2018, 11:06:57 AM »
Greetings fellow Hylas owners!  I just closed this week on s/v Nepenthe, a 1997 model Hylas 46.  The boat is located on the Chesapeake Bay.  Although she is in great shape overall, there are certain areas that are simply tired and none more so than all the running rigging.  I was hoping to pre-order some of the lines before I go on vacation next week from my line guy online.
Question:  Has anyone put together a list of recommended sheet and halyard sizes for the H46 model? 

Thank you very much in advance!

Cheers,

Dan

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below