Author Topic: Step lazarette floor  (Read 494 times)

Ambition

Re: Step lazarette floor
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2018, 04:22:18 PM »
Will and Dottie,
Once the hole was make for the deckplate, the hull of the boat was about 1 1/2 inches below the floor of the locker. We removed probably less than a gallon or so of water. It is in a sealed cavity of the boat and didn't leak anywhere else.

Good luck with the change!
Merrill and Maryse
S/V Ambition H46 #40

will@willclower.com

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2018, 04:08:25 PM »
Hey Jim, Merill, and Maryse,

Dottie and I thought about you guys today. We are prepping for the hurricane, and part of that entailed replacing the pump in the aft lazarette.

Upon cleaning out the well, we noticed water welling up from the screw holes that held down the float switch. Dottie said, "There was a post on the Hylas boards on this!!"

Thoroughly excited, I looked up this thread because we too have standing water inder this aft compartment. Did you guys get a sense of the capacity of this space? How much volume is down there? And I assume it is a completely enclosed compartment?

After Florence blows through we will likely go all Merill and Maryse and install a deck plate in order to have access to that space.

In any case I hope you all are well, and look forward to your thoughts!!

Will and Dottie
Amari H46, #33

Ambition

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 03:28:21 PM »
Jim,
I have not had the boat back in the water since the deck plate was installed. I agree that the seal between the cover and the hull is less than perfect, but we did find the areas (corners) where a little extra closed cell foam strip reduced dramatically the water ingress. Emptied the swim platform and the little lady crawled in to identify where the daylight was getting in ..... I know ... very trusting of her I agree :-) ... I did let her out when she was finished!

Merrill and Maryse
S/V Ambition H46 - 40

Ripple

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 04:01:31 PM »
Thanks for the pics Merrill. Have you detected any water in the void since the changes? It is amazing how much water enters the laz area. I assume water enters at the corners of the steps, which are poorly sealed.

Jim
H46-53

Ambition

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 01:00:14 AM »
Jim,
On Ambition we discovered that the water was getting into the area under the floor through poorly sealed screws holding the silly float switch in place. I removed the float switch and installed two Water Witch switches - one for the pump activation and the second for the high water alarm. I also recently installed a deck plate to be able to always have access to the space under the sole.

Merrill and Maryse
S/V Ambition H46 #40

Ripple

Step lazarette floor
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 01:49:12 PM »
There has been previous conversations regarding water collecting under the floor in the aft step lazarette on h46's and perhaps other models. I would appreciate your thoughts about cutting out the bottom of the well where the float switches are, gaining permanent access to the space under the floor, extending the pump inlet hose to the hull, and pumping out all the water above and below the floor.

Jim, h46-53

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below