Author Topic: Non skid  (Read 1038 times)

mi.dreaming

Re: Non skid
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 02:21:17 PM »
It is possible to buy the non-skid pattern:
https://gibcoflexmold.com/patterns/?filtering_attributes_%5Bboat-manufacturer%5D=HYLAS&filtering_attributes_%5Bpattern-type%5D=Negative+%28female%29

Than you SO much for posting this, Joel!! This helps with all the little places I need to patch! (Pattern#414)
And good luck Chris! Keep us posted on how it goes.

dannye

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 09:26:28 PM »
I own a 1996 46' Hylas- Hull # 12, Last year we did a BIG/Major refit on the boat before we crossed the Atlantic.
FIRST : We washed the deck very well, after it was dry we taped very carefully all the non-skid areas and "SANDED" by hand using red Scotch Brite pads, after the sanding, we washed down with soap and same pads, let it dry, repaired/replaced the tape that were damaged during the sanding.
Once dry, we check that all the deck was clean, wiped all the areas with alcohol and rags, and rolled over the non-skid areas with Awlgrip reduced 2/1/1 , 2 base-1 converter-1 reducer. DOING ONLY one spot each time, Once all the spot was painted we sprayed a mix of Fine and Coarse Awlgrip GripTex Non-Skid Additive.
once we finished all the spots, we let it dry overnight, and next day blowed away, you can use a vacuum also, to remove ALL the loose material.
And applied 2 coats of AwlGrip over all the painted areas. The finished product looks great, its not aggressive to the skin, You can still seeing the diamond pattern.
And looks great, Of course takes time and some expertise, My big advantage is that I own a company that repair yachts in Florida.
Our boat is in Galicia-Spain now. Going to the Med this summer.
Hope it helps, and let me know if you have any question.
Danny

ExitStageLeft

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 11:12:57 AM »
I did the deck on our Hylas 42 myself, although labour intensive and messy it is very do able using a paint called Kiwigrip.  It is available almost everywhere in the marine world.  When finished it leaves a rolled non-skid pattern not a diamond so you will have to be ok with that.  I sanded down the old diamond pattern first but this is optional.  If you don't sand and don't want the diamond pattern to show through, you will need to apply more Kiwigrip to hide it.  Go to You Tube or check out Kiwigrip's website.  The product is very easy and safe to use, cleans up with soap and water and no special mask/ventilation needed.  Their is some technique to getting a even rolled surface but if you go slow and careful you should have no problem achieving it.  I tried to do my entire deck in one day and got tired by the end of the day, hence my technique got sloppy.  Ended up with some places at the end of the day were the old diamond pattern showed through.

joel

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 02:26:02 PM »
It is possible to buy the non-skid pattern:
https://gibcoflexmold.com/patterns/?filtering_attributes_%5Bboat-manufacturer%5D=HYLAS&filtering_attributes_%5Bpattern-type%5D=Negative+%28female%29

I wouldn't try to do it myself.  If you were going to paint the deck you would probably need to sand down the non-skid pattern so it looks even.

SeaGlub

• Adventures of SeaGlub and the Hesitant Half
Non skid
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 08:58:14 PM »
Ok so for all the things on the boat I can do and help others, one thing I have no experience with, yet, is re-painting or surfacing the decks. We have the diamond pattern non skid and we're beginning to develop raw areas where the under side is showing (fiberglass).  Seems like it's time to consider re-surfacing the decks. How does this work, what do we use, how does the diamond pattern affect the process, I assume we fill in any spider cracks first, do we do the entire deck or just the non skid areas????

Any help appreciated

C&M
SeaGlub H46 #22

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below