Author Topic: Teak handrails and cubby fiddles  (Read 606 times)

Hobiehobie

Re: Teak handrails and cubby fiddles
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2018, 03:19:40 PM »
I think I have answered my own question on this!  It is almost impossible to get to the underside of the cockpit fiddles and all of the handrail nuts without destroying the boat!  Many of the ceiling panels are nailed into place and have secondary attachments (like dorade tubes) fused to the panel material.  They could be removed but it is major surgery!

Looks like I will be finishing the handrails and fiddles in place!

Hobiehobie

Teak handrails and cubby fiddles
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 06:39:39 AM »
Our Hylas 54 has 6 teak varnished handrails and 4 cockpit cubby fiddles that need refinishing.  Problem is with finishing in situ is that you cannot really get the varnish to seal at the bottom making rapid future peeling an inevitable event...and of course you have to do all the work in less than ideal varnishing environment.

I am thinking of removing the handrails and fiddles by taking down the interior panels to get at what I assume are the bolts holding them to the coach roof.  Has anyone attempted this?  Is it feasible. 

If so, I will strip them and do two or three coats of clear epoxy followed by 3 or 4 of varnish for UV protection, finishing the bottom surface too so they are completely sealed.  Then put back with plenty of sealant in the holes.

Any thoughts/experience with the removal?

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below