Author Topic: Bilge pumps and air-lock  (Read 656 times)

Cassiopee

Re: Bilge pumps and air-lock
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 12:56:00 AM »
Thanks for the replies. Iíll check out the specs on the Gulper

JF

johnspiegel

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 06:34:51 PM »
I presume you installed some kind of spring-loaded check valve? Have you tried using just a swing check-valve or one without a spring that the air could more easily "push through"?

We have a similar bilge pump setup in our 2000 H46. I recently rebuilt the leaking Jabsco 36600 with some a used diaphragm salvaged from some old parts left by the PO. It was a pain. When it next gives me any trouble, I'm planning to just replace it wholesale with a Whale Gulper 320. From what I've been able to dig up online, it should be more reliable, and costs just a bit more than a 36600 rebuild kit.

-John Spiegel
Vesper, H46 #30

Dealatis

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 05:16:43 PM »
I just discovered my unconnected Diaphragm pump under the aft head sink...I have a rule 2000 primary in bilge with separate picks up for diaphragm pump and whale manual pump...I have a marine electrician coming out to help me connect the diaphragm pump up (has a separate bilge 2 circuit breaker on panel) and puta float switch in for that pump ( I have a spare used Davenport bilge bug and safety systems Jr float type switch and havenít decided which one to use).  I need to find out if the diaphragm pump discharge is routed as yours is...through shower drain/sink drain sea cock...will ask ur question too electrician and see what he says about the installation and let u know...

Cassiopee

Bilge pumps and air-lock
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 04:48:32 PM »
This is our first posting so hello to all,

S/V Cassiopee W is a 2008 H46. Like most H46 of that age, the bilge is rather small and shallow, limiting the bilge pumps options. We have a Rule 2000 as the primary, which has about 8-10 feet of 1 in (ID) hose with exit above WL on Port side and a vent loop. The secondary pump is a Jabsco 36000 diaphragm type mounted below NAV seat that discharge below WL on same seacock as shower pump and sink drain. The secondary is vented through the sink connector and has a check valve.

My issue is the the Rule (#1) doesnít quite reach the bottom of the bilge due to space (about 1/4in from bottom) and current float switch configuration activate the #2 pump first.  This is fine since it has a check valve whereas pump #1 didnít so the water return was almost as much as what it pumped out. But the diaphragm pump is feeling the work and when/if the diaphragm leaks, the pump tends to cease quickly due to salt water splashing.  I just installed a check valve on #1 but I now have an air-lock issue where the #1 doesnít always manage to push water past the check valve. I can cycle it manually but not a great safety system!

Has anyone come up with a simple (if not elegant) solution? My simple minded brain wants to put a pinhole just before the check-valve so that air can be pushed out. The small hole would only seep drops in the bilge, and when the pump stops, I would only have the 8 in return from the pump to the check-valve, which I can live with.

thoughts? Any better bilge pump configuration out there?

J-F Metail
S/V Cassiopee
H46 #062

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below